Help pls (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey Man I know I asked you this before but now do I become as good as you in maths
I appreciate the compliment a lot but I don't think I'm at that stage yet to say I'm an expert or "good" at maths. I think there's other people in this site who are more qualified to answer that than me. If I had to say how I improved in maths then I can give my experience on that but take it with a grain of salt.

1. Consistent study:
I really didn't care about maths at all to the contrary until this year and it was just more of another subject I had to get good at. I remember starting off in the holidays by just grabbing a maths adv textbook and I just did some chapters there for about 1 hour a day. I didn't feel it was labourious since completing the chapters felt satisfiyng, and this was just practicing algebra, indices and logs stuff. This really helped me throughout the year since I was more fine tuned than my peers and consequently I was able to work on questions more faster since I was better at algebraic manipulation. I think a lot of mistakes made on maths exams really just come down to the "simple" and "easy" stuff that we often overlook.

2. Graphing/Desmos:
I would say this helped me a lot especially for functions, trig and calculus. The routine of graphing stuff and playing around with desmos meant that I was able to visualise a lot of the problems as opposed to pure algebraic manipulation. Just practicing this really saved me a lot of time and it gave me a new method of approaching a problem that I would not have. This was really handy for the challenge questions that required heavy algebra but could be neatly solved through graphs.

3. Enjoyment/Results:
Maths was pretty fun after I got the hang of it, it was satisfying to study quite a few hours per day and see massive improvements in my performance. After I got a good mark in my first exam, I only increased my persistence/determination to do better. After that studying for maths became autopilot and I was able to study longer hours and periods without noticing it. If you get into that cycle where you're motivated by your marks/performance, its really hard to break it unless you make a conscious effort to procrastinate or not care.

4. Practice Exams:
Pretty self explanatory, just doing them made me capable enough to withstand time pressure which was a big issue for me. Easiest way to see an improvement in marks imo.

I think if you compare yourself with other people, especially in maths, you tend to feel like you're not much or your progress is futile but you have to remember those people just have studied it way longer than you have and had more exposure at the end. Its pretty natural to get sidetracked and feel like you're not good enough but if you're making any improvements, its still a successful day at the end. No relation to maths but I think its pretty important.

As I said, I think there's people more experienced than me that can give better advice. Take this as a grain of salt, this is just what has worked for me for the past year and there's always room for improvement. I hope this can be a bit of help.

Last edited:

yashbb

HSC
I appreciate the compliment a lot but I don't think I'm at that stage yet to say I'm an expert or "good" at maths. I think there's other people in this site who are more qualified to answer that than me. If I had to say how I improved in maths then I can give my experience on that but take it with a grain of salt.

1. Consistent study:
I really didn't care about maths at all to the contrary until this year and it was just more of another subject I had to get good at. I remember starting off in the holidays by just grabbing a maths adv textbook and I just did some chapters there for about 1 hour a day. I didn't feel it was labourious since completing the chapters felt satisfiyng, and this was just practicing algebra, indices and logs stuff. This really helped me throughout the year since I was more fine tuned than my peers and consequently I was able to work on questions more faster since I was better at algebraic manipulation. I think a lot of mistakes made on maths exams really just come down to the "simple" and "easy" stuff that we often overlook.

2. Graphing/Desmos:
I would say this helped me a lot especially for functions, trig and calculus. The routine of graphing stuff and playing around with desmos meant that I was able to visualise a lot of the problems as opposed to pure algebraic manipulation. Just practicing this really saved me a lot of time and it gave me a new method of approaching a problem that I would not have. This was really handy for the challenge questions that required heavy algebra but could be neatly solved through graphs.

3. Enjoyment/Results:
Maths was pretty fun after I got the hang of it, it was satisfying to study quite a few hours per day and see massive improvements in my performance. After I got a good mark in my first exam, I only increased my persistence/determination to do better. After that studying for maths became autopilot and I was able to study longer hours and periods without noticing it. If you get into that cycle where you're motivated by your marks/performance, its really hard to break it unless you make a conscious effort to procrastinate or not care.

4. Practice Exams:
Pretty self explanatory, just doing them made me capable enough to withstand time pressure which was a big issue for me. Easiest way to see an improvement in marks imo.

I think if you compare yourself with other people, especially in maths, you tend to feel like you're not much or your progress is futile but you have to remember those people just have studied it way longer than you have and had more exposure at the end. Its pretty natural to get sidetracked and feel like you're not good enough but if you're making any improvements, its still a successful day at the end. No relation to maths but I think its pretty important.

As I said, I think there's people more experienced than me that can give better advice. Take this as a grain of salt, this is just what has worked for me for the past year and there's always room for improvement. I hope this can be a bit of help.
Thank you so much I really look up to you in this regard & I hope I can improve as well

5uckerberg

HSC

1. Consistent study:

2. Graphing/Desmos:

3. Enjoyment/Results:

4. Practice Exams:

5. Teach others

Disclaimer: I am not encouraging you to be a high school teacher, I just meant explaining your working out.

If you want to take your maths to another level this is what you might want to do. Here, note that if you enjoy mathematics and do well with it all is good however if you want to refine your skills, try explaining what you are doing to others, or in some cases help others because in doing so you might realise "oh damn I need to go back and have a look at this I might have made this unclear for ... ." Here, you will realise that you need to make your information clear for others so that they will understand what you are saying. Useful in terms of gaining mastery over mathematical concepts. Also useful when you are going to your teacher and you need to show them where you are struggling so that they can see where to help you.

yashbb

HSC
5. Teach others

Disclaimer: I am not encouraging you to be a high school teacher, I just meant explaining your working out.

If you want to take your maths to another level this is what you might want to do. Here, note that if you enjoy mathematics and do well with it all is good however if you want to refine your skills, try explaining what you are doing to others, or in some cases help others because in doing so you might realise "oh damn I need to go back and have a look at this I might have made this unclear for ... ." Here, you will realise that you need to make your information clear for others so that they will understand what you are saying. Useful in terms of gaining mastery over mathematical concepts. Also useful when you are going to your teacher and you need to show them where you are struggling so that they can see where to help you.
yes i will work on this. ty

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
5. Teach others

This ^^ If you can't explain something to someone then it means you don't really understand it. You can help your fellow classmates who might be struggling or even the grade below you and it can serve as a form of test of your own knowledge.

yashbb

HSC
This ^^ If you can't explain something to someone then it means you don't really understand it. You can help your fellow classmates who might be struggling or even the grade below you and it can serve as a form of test of your own knowledge.
Ok yes thank you so much man for all your help and advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)