Help: Rules to Failing a Course...F***!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Blob-Bob

HSC
N/A
I'm currently taking a course for the Summer Term. Err...unfortunately, I think I might fail it. It's one of those tedious, compulsory courses one has to take as part of their program.

And yes, I know...if I do fail, there's no excuse to it and I totally derserve to have my ass kicked.

BUT I still have a few questions about failing:

- As it is a course taken during the Summer Term, how will this affect my academic standing and my future enrolment flexibility if I failed? i.e. Probation and permission to enrol etc.

- If I do fail it and re-take the course again either next semester or Semester 2 2011 and pass it, will...

(i) the fact that I failed be 'forgiven' and erased off my academic transcript? Or will it haunt me for the rest of my UG life?
(ii) the failure mark I received from the Summer Term be 'replaced' by the pass mark I get from re-taking it (saving my overall WAM)?

- Are there any additional consequences to failing a course that I should know about? So I know what pain to expect?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently taking a course for the Summer Term. Err...unfortunately, I think I might fail it. It's one of those tedious, compulsory courses one has to take as part of their program.

And yes, I know...if I do fail, there's no excuse to it and I totally derserve to have my ass kicked.

BUT I still have a few questions about failing:

- As it is a course taken during the Summer Term, how will this affect my academic standing and my future enrolment flexibility if I failed? i.e. Probation and permission to enrol etc.

- If I do fail it and re-take the course again either next semester or Semester 2 2011 and pass it, will...

(i) the fact that I failed be 'forgiven' and erased off my academic transcript? Or will it haunt me for the rest of my UG life?
(ii) the failure mark I received from the Summer Term be 'replaced' by the pass mark I get from re-taking it (saving my overall WAM)?

- Are there any additional consequences to failing a course that I should know about? So I know what pain to expect?
Pretty sure fails haunt you forever and count to your WAM even if you pass them later.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Summer courses at UNSW should be having their final exams right about now, its too late to unfuck yourself. As for 'additional consequences':

-If you fail the same course three times, you don't get to take it again (I think).
-If you don't pass a 'core subject' for your degree, you won't get the degree until you do it
-If you fail, your degree might take an extra year or semester due to the order of prerequisites and avaliability of courses and such. E.g you failed the course POOP1000 offered only in second semester and its a prereq for one of your second year course. You cant take that second year course until you take POOP1000 next year and pass. There may be exceptions wher eyou can take a course without doing the prereq, talk to your program coordinator. The upside: there is a special clause in the overloading system, where if you are in your final year of uni and there is one course left which will cause you to spend an extra year just to do that course, you can overload that course without neccesarily having the minimum 65 WAM if youre accepted by the chancellory/controllingdudethingy.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
RE: Sinophile's thread I'd only be worried about the last 2.

I have 4 fails and the only thing that bothers me is another year in uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)