HELP...What is the difference between gene cloning and whole animal cloning??? (1 Viewer)

Appleseed

HSC
I have this really big assessment due in about a month, i've looked everywhere but cause find anything that makes them different. Can anyone help me please!?

margaret-lise

HSC
Im pretty sure gene cloning is just cloning the actual DNA stands using PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)this essentially gives them a larger sample of the DNA they need to test for genetic defects etc.
But whole animal cloning is actually cloning the animal.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Appleseed said:
I have this really big assessment due in about a month, i've looked everywhere but cause find anything that makes them different. Can anyone help me please!?
Gene cloning is replicating a single gene. This can be done using recombinant DNA technology and polyerase chain reactions.

Whole animal cloning is cloning whole animals using SCNT (somatic cell nuclear transfer) - ie making dolly the sheep

margaret-lise

HSC
thats exactly what i just said...
if you have any questions i suggest you ask me, you dont wanna get information from ammeters

thought id just expand on the process
PCR
1. Denaturation
the sample is heated to 95 degrees for 1 to 5 minutes. hydrogen bonds between DNA strands is broken.
2. Annealing
the mixture is cooled to 55 degrees for about 1 minute. primers bond to the start and end of the sequence to be copied.
3. Elongation
the mixture is heated to 72 degrees for about 1 minute. complementary base pairs are added to the single DNA strands to form a double strand of DNA. the reaction is catalyzed by enzyme polymerase and involves the formation of hydrogen bonds.

i assume the gene cloning is the part your having trouble with?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
margaret-lise said:
thats exactly what i just said...
if you have any questions i suggest you ask me, you dont wanna get information from ammeters
Are you suggesting that I am an amateur? I realise that you are relatively new to the forums, but get used to people repeating the same things over and over again. I know I repeated a lot of what you said, but I did add in a few processes . :)

margaret-lise

HSC
i didn't mean an ammeter to forums coz they mean sooo much and everything
i meant to the subject in general. i thought that was pretty obvious. xx

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
margaret-lise said:
i didn't mean an ammeter to forums coz they mean sooo much and everything
i meant to the subject in general.
So did I. But what makes you think that im an amateur to the subject?

margaret-lise

HSC
midifile said:
So did I. But what makes you think that im an amateur to the subject?
you know what would be a shorter list:
what makes me think your not an amateur in the subject

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
margaret-lise said:
Yay. You finally got it!

margaret-lise said:
you know what would be a shorter list:
what makes me think your not an amateur in the subject
Okay. Enlighten me. What makes you think that I am not an amateur? And what makes you such an expert in it?

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Just to add onto the Gene Cloning. Not sure if the HSC needs this detail. But PCRs are done more than once, actually you need to do it multiple times, once done, you go through the stages margaret talked about, followed by the creation of DNA Libraries (where you overlap, etc all the DNA strands together).

The most important part is then the deleting of DNA bases using bioinformatics, etc which then determines the exact gene you're interested in, followed by cloning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)