Help!!!! With Subjects For Year 12 (1 Viewer)

CaiDrummer

HSC
At the moment I'm doing Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, 2-Unit Maths, PDHPE, Modern History, Drama and German.
I'm planning to pick up Ext 2, and I'm DEFINATELY dropping German... the only reason I chose it for this year was because when we did subject selections I was still planning to go on the Germany study trip - which was cancelled. I hate the subject now, cos the classes are all in the morning, start 20mins+ after they're supposed to, and generally consist of the teacher either talking in German to the native speakers - at a level the rest of the class (all four of us) don't understand - or she's talking about her daughter blah blah blah.
Ok I'm done whinging.
Point is, I'm picking up Ext 2, and dropping German, which puts me at 12 units... I'm thinking about dropping Drama too, which would put me at 10 units. I really like Drama, but I'm not getting the marks for it... I mean, I'm getting a B-average, but that's with the teacher that LIKES me... my original teacher is supposed to come back with the start of term 2, and she hates me (face it, no matter what anyone says, if the teacher doesn't like you, it makes a difference!)
My only concern is that if I only have 10 units, if I do fail one of my other courses, or if I don't do well, then I'm screwed. But then again, if I do poorly in Drama then I'm screwed anyway!
Any suggestions?

volition

arr.
HSC
I did 10 units and I did ok (94.6) so I don't think it's really that bad to do 10 as long as you're confident with your subjects

nwatts

HSC
Do 12. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise.

If you enjoy drama then keep at it. Your marks may improve, or if not you'll keep it as one subject you just don't have to stress as much with because you have a natural liking towards the material.

P

pLuvia

10 units is risky, most people would do more as they back up units. Just keep drama for now and see how it goes

vizman

HSC
unless you are performing really solidly in those 10 units, stick with 12

NobodyKnows

HSC
Hey!

I dropped Biology and Geography and picked up EEII and Ext History, so at the start of Yr 12 I had 11 units, 4 of which were (and still are) English. I soon found out that 2 Major Works was an absolute bitch, and I couldn't cut it, so I dropped Ext History, which took me down to 10 units. I reeeeally wish I had kept Geography, just so I had a fallback subject, because I don't anymore and I'm really struggling.

In regards to Drama - what would you be doing - performance, script-writing, sound, lighting, set design? I don't know much about the course, but one of my friends is doing script writing for her IP for it, along with EEII AND Ext History, so she has 3 Major Works. I have no idea how she's coping with this, lol but I think she's going to drop Ext History.

From personal experience, I say keep 12 units through to the beginning of Yr 12 (ie, Term Four this year/Term One next year). If you decide that it's too difficult, then think about dropping something. Don't do what I did and just go, ''I hate this subject and this subject, let's just drop 'em both, it'll be fiiiine''.

Good luck with your decision.

jaded_hearts

HSC
The teachers at my school have said that PDHPE is only best for students in year 12 who want to become a PE teacher in the future and that's why alot of people dropped pe in year 12. I'd recommended taking CAFS instead.

HSC
jaded_hearts said:
The teachers at my school have said that PDHPE is only best for students in year 12 who want to become a PE teacher in the future and that's why alot of people dropped pe in year 12. I'd recommended taking CAFS instead.
She (original poster) never said anything about dropping PD/H/PE. Also, what's CAFS?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
german gets scaled up very high compared to normal subjects as it is a second language subject. on the other hand drama and pdhpe are scaled quite low considereing the number of people choosing it as a subecjt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)