• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help (1 Viewer)

lulushang

HSC
can anybody give me some info about sodium24? To say its benefit and diasadevantage.

B

badhairday

benefits- short half-life of 15 hours so it doesnt cause long term damage to the environment. Short lived isotope that decays quickly. Also not hazardous to heath.

as for disadvanatges im not too sure

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
badhairday said:
benefits- short half-life of 15 hours so it doesnt cause long term damage to the environment.
Ironically that also creates the problem that the isotope must be made close to where it will be used as its half life is so short, which could see a nuclear reactor near built up areas.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Nuclear Chem! Xd

Sodium-24 has a short half life of 14.8 hours which means it has to be made close to where it will be used in order for it to still emit enough radiation to be detected.
It's used in pipes as a tracer, so that if there was a leak, the exact place of leak could be detected.

Advantage - It has a short half-life, therefore the water would not be made radioactive after testing has been completed.

Disadvantage - This also means that it has to be replaced frequently and not suitable for transportation from faraway places.

Hope it helps :)
This is pretty specific... what do you need it for?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
for radio isotopes, u can always say that the radioactivity may be hazardous to environment and people near it... has the ability to cause cancer, permanently poison the environment etc...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
for radio isotopes, u can always say that the radioactivity may be hazardous to environment and people near it... has the ability to cause cancer, permanently poison the environment etc...
Yeah, short halflife only lessens the impact, not removing it.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Advantage - It has a short half-life, therefore the water would not be made radioactive after testing has been completed.
That is more to do with the strength of the radiation rather than the half life.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Hmm.. I think it's a common fallacy that when something has come into contact with radioactive material then it will also become radioractive if the source has enough energy to make something radioactive?

Say we take a hypothetical immortal creature (very friendly and loves to help scientists) called edanomel of which chemical make-up is 99.9% H2O and you feed it Na-24... Scientists then induced edanomel to poop all the Na-24 out and then study it again for traces of radioactivity immediately.

The result should be: there is no trace of radioactivity because Na-24 doesn't make something radioactive. Edanomel could be ionised to a very high extand that when you put two such edanomels together they would repel each other - but it's not radioactive...

I assume Dreamy was right.. it's just the wording...? Try this:

Advantage - It has a short half-life, therefore the concentration of radioactive Na-24 will reduce rapidly enough to leave the water uncontaminated (or to a very very neglegible extend) for safety purposes but long enough for tracing leaks

Last edited:

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Casmira said:
not too sound like a smart ass, but first link in google gives you a shitload about sodium-24
http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/astronomy/sodium24.html
:p well, I clicked on your link and I happened to be there before.. First of all did you actually read the whole thing? If you did, you must have realised that only the top 10 lines or so are about Na-24 and the rest is about the non-radioactive Na isotope.. :)

Secondly.. and the most amusing :D (lol...sorry xD I can't help) part is that, even though that particular webpage looks very infomative and has many numbers, they have incorrectly quoted ;) the half life of Na-24 to be 14.96 YEARS *ahem* (goes and laugh more) xD well..

Finally.. Don't just stick up a link and tell people to look at it, this is not how you help someone. I do know for a fact that many people are lazy and can't be bothered to even google, but... at least varify your source if sticking up a link is all you want to do.. ;) You just contradicted yourself:

Casmira said:
not too sound like a smart ass
Well *ahem* (stops laughing), well, I'm serious and ish not picking on you :) Just that we need to promote sensible and correct approaches to help other people on here.. :) Take care ^_____________^

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@mito: lolz funni... thx for pickin it up =D

hm regarding the radioactivity not makin other substance radioactive as well, i agree... tho if we are talkin abt a living organism, its ability to ionise can make it hazardous enough to be considered dangerous...

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
*spams*

well, lovely edanomel is immortal!.. nothing was harmed in the hypothesis...

btw, has anyone figured out why edanomel yet?

lulushang

HSC
Ohh...people , you are soooooooooooooooo....kind.............
thanx so much..................those smart people.i nearly dead in this radioisotope.

HSC
who cares if only 1 line is relevant, it still helps him doesnt it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)