Helpp. Maq vs UNSW vs Usyd (1 Viewer)

CarolineR

HSC
Hey guys!
I got accepted into Macquarie Early entry for Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor Laws. But I am currently conflicted to whether I want to choose that or UNSW or USyd Commerce. I was thinking maybe to switch after the first year of MQ to UNSW or something. Also, I don't know whether Usyd or UNSW is better for Commerce and just the environment overall. Or does anyone have any ops on UTS? Does anyone have any advice or opinions, anything will be appreciated. Also I wanted to major in Economics if that helped?

Thanks!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you visited the campuses? Which University is closest? What do you want to do after University? You can always accept the early offer and apply for the other universities such as USYD and UNSW.

UTS and UNSW both have trimesters, whilst Macquarie University and the University of Sydney both have semesters. Many people prefer semesters but you should also consider this and do research into it. What major are you thinking of doing?

CarolineR

HSC
Have you visited the campuses? Which University is closest? What do you want to do after University? You can always accept the early offer and apply for the other universities such as USYD and UNSW.

UTS and UNSW both have trimesters, whilst Macquarie University and the University of Sydney both have semesters. Many people prefer semesters but you should also consider this and do research into it. What major are you thinking of doing?
Thanks for your reply. So I have visited the Macquarie Uni which I loved, everyone seems great and friendly. I am yet to check out the others. The transport to Macquarie seemed really easy as it was only a 25 min bus ride. I accepted the early offer so I am trying out for the other unis. I would like to major in economics as well.

CarolineR

HSC
Do you reckon? What are the benefits of doing economics as opposed to commerce? I am doing Advanced Maths but I kinda hate it (I'm not doing bad in it but not the best).

sida1049

HSC
Do you reckon? What are the benefits of doing economics as opposed to commerce?
Doing a B. Commerce entails many compulsory business units which aren't very relevant (not likely interesting) to you. For example, at USYD, a B. Commerce would require you to do 24 credit points of such units, one of which includes 'Business, Accounting and Society', which sounds useless, so you're better off spending those credit points on units you actually want to take. To put things into perspective, you need 48cp of units for a major at USYD, so under B. Commerce that's half the length of a major spent on these kind of units!

Meanwhile, a B. Economics at USYD would have you doing economics and econometrics (stats for economics) units as compulsory units, which contributes to your economics major and education anyway.

I am doing Advanced Maths but I kinda hate it (I'm not doing bad in it but not the best).
BLIT2014 brought up a pretty important point. Economics has an interestingly high failure rate (around 20% for first year economics at USYD), which is mostly due to students who enrol into economics with a lack of maths background (i.e. general maths or worse).

Maths is pretty important to an economics major. You'll see some basic HSC 2U calculus come up in your first year economics units. Second and third year economics units typically will have even more maths, depending on how far you're willing to go with the major. If you decide to take an honours year or postgraduate degree in economics, then you can expect even more advanced maths. (Additionally, at USYD, there're advanced "pre-honours" units for second and third year students which have significantly more maths than normal economics units in comparison, which are meant to prepare you for honours-level economics.)

While my post is USYD-centric (based on my experiences studying economics here), it generalises to all of the other good unis. For this reason, it's important you keep up with at least 2U maths in the HSC, and prepare to take some maths units in uni if you're interested in an economics major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)