here's a crazy thought.. (1 Viewer)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
this might be old news to some of you...
recently scientists at NEC labs have accelerated light to 300 times celerity. rather than the usual 3x10^8 light now travels at 9x10^10..
light is pulsed in a vacuum and is made to pass through a chamber of cesium gas.. the crazy thing is the light travels so fast that it exits the chamber before it even enters...
now there are two problems with this senario.. if the results do end up being conclusive.. then it totally contradicts the thoery of casualty (this is basically cause and effect) and whats more... it goes against like the most fundamental law in physics.. relativity..
crazy stuff.. if true.. relativity might have to be rethought and sum crazy kid out there will hav to compensate in lights ability to exceed its 'limit'.
one thing i havn't been able to get is..light slows down i denser mediums right.. so if it goes through a vacuum into a gas filled chamber why does it accelerate instead of decelerating...
there are some theories out there but its a bit iffy...
anyways just a crazy thought thats been floating around my head for the last 2 months or so..
might as well here what others have to say bout it..
go forth and multiply kids i mean with relativity gone.. what are we to do!!!! aaaarrrgggghhhhhhh...ok i'm done..

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
ah man... i read the first paragraph then i stopped.. LOL too long!
:p

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
yeah i hav a problem... i start writing and can't stop..
i end up writing theses..
oh wells.. if u know anyone who can help plz i'll gladly take the advice..
see yas

Twintip

That's a little old, I remember reading something on it in year 10. It might be worth-while pointing out that this doesn't affect the laws of physics because no matter is accelerated past the speed of light in any of these experiments. Those conducting the experiments acknowledge this. :)

Mathematician

Yes i've read this too.

The light doesnt actually go as fast as 9x10^10 its just a light effect due to caesium gas that makes it appeat faster.

The two guys( i think it was two) even said this is not vilolating relativity.

Read up :)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
no actually, they said that ' relativity is not infalable'
it hasnt been disproved but it does show that under certain circumstances light can travel faster than relativity allows..
they also mention that information cannot YET be carried on these pulses.

certain thoerys hav been contradicted under the circumstances (cesium gas) that the light is under.

:)

mrman

even if Light does go faster, than originally thought, how does that contradict relativity?

Time still dialates, mass still increases, and length still contracts, it would just alter the results given, because C^2/V^2, would figure out to be less. So i doubt what your saying, even if light does actually travel faster the theory of relativity still holds, because you still cannot actually travel any faster than the speed of light

abdooooo!!!

Banned
In special relativity, travel faster than the vacuum speed of light must be forbidden in order to preserve the principle of "causality". And in Special relativity the vacuum speed of light is globally c. Therefore in special relativity there is no faster than c travel. However, in general relativity the vacuum speed of light is only locally invariant and so the remote coordinate speed of light is not always c, and so the speed of light remote from a given observer need not be c and can be greater than c.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
It is an effect, but "effect never precedes cause".

That caesium light does not violate causality because the speeded-up backwards pulse can't actually send any encoded information faster than c, and so can't have an effect on its own cause.

All the theories that ever existed are more wrong than right, thats why they're called "theories". Maybe some day they'll prove that relativity does not exist, and that everything is the same thing; like matter and energy just in different forms, light is probably matter and energy combined... science can never be right.

Last edited:

professor

hmm...for ppl interested in special relativity...there was this question in i think last yrs(2002) HSC physics and i think its on page 19. it talks bout how this kid did some experiment and u have to justify his conclusion...the answer was so rigged...i mean not rigged, but stupid...if anyone got an idea, post it:D

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hey.. who cares?? i willl worry about it l8er.. for now.. i'll do the hSC okay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)