• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

hey all, ideas?? (1 Viewer)

stuge

HSC
iv been trying to get this journeys essay down, but the one thing thats been killing me are my last related texts..im doing martin luther's speech and fight club..the speech is fairly easy to do, but help would be really good, even better would be some good ideas for fight club, both how it links with ideas of the journey and techniques..that would be great!

stuge

HSC
MAIN thesis.......hmm dont really have one, probly sumthin about how by allowing yourself to create or follow someone else's manufactured/alternative reality you can find a more perfect outlook on life or sumthin, im not too sure, wana help me with this too?? umm newhoose i mean i just like the idea of using a movie i like, and really, the bit that makes it an imaginative journey, the fact that he creates a person in his mind who resembles everything he wants to be, doesnt interest me as much as what that person resembles..

how else does the main character actually progress or change by creating this character?? besides the simple fact that he LEARNS that he has a longing to become that person, or whatever..hit me back!! thanks, stu

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I wrote a 300-word piece on Fight Club for an assessment but got full marks -- be warned though, my teacher said some markers may frown on you using an R-Rated text.

This text deals with the CAUSE of a journey -- ie Norton's character (I've forgotten his name now) creates Tyler Durden (and therefore takes an imaginative journey) to compensate for his overly dull, overly consumerist lifestyle. So you can link that CAUSE to the CAUSES of journeys in your other texts maybe?

stuge

HSC
thanks for that! so basically all il want to do is lead in by saying sumthin like "yep jack longed to be this Tyler persona" or sumthin to that effect, linking it with say LTBMP where the narrator creates an alternative reality or something?? also, in the end jack "kills" tyler, what does this say about the effect of his imaginative journey?? or, really, what IS the effect of the journey??

mizosoup

HSC
you know whats a really cool bit in fight club? when at the end, edward norton goes "i'm holding the gun", and he looks up, and he's holding the gun. i thought that was pretty damn profound

i dunno how that helps but it can be a quote

stuge

HSC
right..so can anyone help with fight club film techniques???

also still worried about what jack actually GAINS from the journey???

Isenduil

HSC
Dude, film techniques how hard can they be...

They are the most generic techniques you can reproduce. Just use things like the blood and violence of the film, the continuous dialogue between Tyler and whatsisname... Close ups, special effects, gore. Then use some crazy statement to link them to the journey, HOW the techniques represent the journey, and WHY you have used it as your related. Remember to justify your reason for using it, and i trust that you can come up with those because you're the one choosing to use it as your related :)

Fight Club is perfect for powerplay though... thats what i'm using it for anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)