Hey - Study Patterns (1 Viewer)

shoutoutloud

HSC
Hey guys,
I just scrapped through my half yealies but i wanna improve! I study for 330 ish to about 7 then from about 8 to about 9 so thats four and a half hours but im still stuggling im HOPING for a UAI for 80 lol dun think it will happen so please share your study patterns and if your good at bio help me!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Hey

shoutoutloud said:
Hey guys,
I just scrapped through my half yealies but i wanna improve! I study for 330 ish to about 7 then from about 8 to about 9 so thats four and a half hours but im still stuggling im HOPING for a UAI for 80 lol dun think it will happen so please share your study patterns and if your good at bio help me!

You seem to be a hard-working student. 4.5 hours is more than enough and use this holiday wisely. It will help you to catch up. 80 UAI is more than possible if you keep that up.

I employ similar study method. I study from 2:30 to 6:00 doing some past HSC Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 papers. Once I complete about 2 exam papers, I take a break and move on to exercis.

And then, I study again. I make notes with my computer but before that, I make sure I understand the topics first. Then, I print my notes and memorise them. Oh yeah, I divide my notes into two. One is specifically for the syllabus and the other one is just an extra information. I read the syllabus one more than the other. The other is just an extra information that will help me.

I try to do some practice questions as well. I hope that helped.

HSC
work on getting a study pattern that actually suits you.

eg. 4 hours of staring at textbooks could be no help whatsoever.

i know i study best when i have a friend studying with me - i have a short attention span. they keep me focused on my work, and what i dont understand they usually will, and vice versa.

basically, token studying is just a waste of time. (ie. getting out your books and looking like youre learning things, but nothing sinks in)

so work out how you learn best - maybe it wont be the same for each subject - and utilise that knowledge.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Er...what? Four and a half hours study? =\

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm still wondering how someone who is studying 4 and a half hours a night is hoping for a UAI of 80.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Aerath said:
I'm still wondering how someone who is studying 4 and a half hours a night is hoping for a UAI of 80.
She never said what she was studying for 4.5hours

Sorry. I swear someone said he in this thread.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
He never said what he was studying for 4.5hours
"SHE"

She must have just started "4.5 hours a day" routine not that she has been doing that for the last few months. If she has been doing that, she would have easily knocked others off in exams. (I am completely aware of the fact that studying a lot is not necessarily important but 4.5 hours a day is A LOT. Whatever your study method is, if you study that much, you should get good marks).

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
She never said what she was studying for 4.5hours
OP said:
I study for 330 ish to about 7 then from about 8 to about 9 so thats four and a half hours but im still stuggling im HOPING for a UAI for 80
I thought that meant she was studying for 4.5 hours. Unless my sleep deprived mind is playing tricks on me. =\

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
no those hours are equal to 4.5 hours you are right.

In think 3 hours is enough for prelim that is what our school suggests, Use prelim as a practise dont stress learn from mistakes

DynaMic

HSC
Okay
Year 11 half yearly exams always result in marks that you aren't too happy about. I know that because it happened to me, and my brother. I did really well with 3 band 6's and 2 band 5's last year. My brother he's the school captain.

I still haven't really found a study pattern that works for me. I don't think I could work with a structure, I generally just do my homework then assessments and anytime left, of a couple of weeks before exams I study.

Also Year 11 is just about completing all your assessments and getting all exams done to an alright level, all preparing for Next year.

Well best of luck. ANd don't stress too much, use your friends to destress.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Shoutoutloud, you seem like a really keen student, evident from your private messages for Biology notes :).

You're probably studying hard and well determined, but you're not studying smart. Staring a textbook for 4 hours and a half hours learning nothing wouldn't be so beneficial. But by actually writing notes productively or reciting whilst actually learning the material does help.

Figure out what's best for you. For me, writing notes continously over and over again until perfectionism is reached and the information is stored into my memory works really well. For others, like one of my friends, just by reading a textbook and underlining key terms helps for him. So find your way of studying effectively.

Remember it's only Year 11. Many of us have our bad times academically, and by persevering by working harder and smarter, our results can improve whilst being satisfied :). You still have time, so work on what's best for you. Use these two weeks to your advantage, and prove to yourself that you're capable of achieving high marks.

Remember: Greatness is not achieved by never falling, but by rising every time we fall.

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
"SHE"

She must have just started "4.5 hours a day" routine not that she has been doing that for the last few months. If she has been doing that, she would have easily knocked others off in exams. (I am completely aware of the fact that studying a lot is not necessarily important but 4.5 hours a day is A LOT. Whatever your study method is, if you study that much, you should get good marks).
Ach yes, but studying that much is very tiring and could be counter-productive if the student does not take a break. :)

To shoutoutloud: The average human has an attention span of about 20 - 25 minutes, so studying in blocks over a period of time is more ideal than four hours flat out.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

lyounamu said:
You are only in the Preliminary year and whatever you get now won't directly impact your UAI.

You seem to be a hard-working student. 4.5 hours is more than enough and use this holiday wisely. It will help you to catch up. 80 UAI is more than possible if you keep that up.

I employ similar study method. I study from 2:30 to 6:00 doing some past HSC Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 papers. Once I complete about 2 exam papers, I take a break and move on to exercis.

And then, I study again. I make notes with my computer but before that, I make sure I understand the topics first. Then, I print my notes and memorise them. Oh yeah, I divide my notes into two. One is specifically for the syllabus and the other one is just an extra information. I read the syllabus one more than the other. The other is just an extra information that will help me.

I try to do some practice questions as well. I hope that helped.
gosh i wish i was that dedicated, but by the time you reach yr 12 youll be soo sick of it and burn out

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

hollyy. said:
gosh i wish i was that dedicated, but by the time you reach yr 12 youll be soo sick of it and burn out
Hahahahahaha...

I doubt it. If I could cope this for the last few months (I mean, few terms) I believe that I can continue this kind of routine. ;)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
Ach yes, but studying that much is very tiring and could be counter-productive if the student does not take a break. :)

To shoutoutloud: The average human has an attention span of about 20 - 25 minutes, so studying in blocks over a period of time is more ideal than four hours flat out.
..... um....

I don't think so. Average human has an attention span of more than that. I think it was about 40-50 minutes. That's why a lot of people tell you to study 50 minutes and take 10 minutes break.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
Hahahahahaha...

I doubt it. If I could cope this for the last few months (I mean, few terms) I believe that I can continue this kind of routine. ;)
but there is much more work in year 12 you year 11s have seen nothing yet

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

emytaylor164 said:
but there is much more work in year 12 you year 11s have seen nothing yet
I was talking about my own study routine. I wasn't saying whether I could cope Year 12 or not. I was basically saying I can cope with my study routine. Of course, I don't know how difficult Year 12 might be.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

oh yeah

but i think the amount of work you are doing i wont be suprised if you burn out before year 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)