• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

hi please listen (1 Viewer)

imation

HSC
hi guys i am doing a imaginative journey test in two weeks. It says imagine you have been asked to submit priginal material to the editor of a new anthology of coleridge's poems suitable for older adolescents in 2007. YOu have to base your submission on two of the four poems set for HSC study. The 4 poems are the rime of the ancient mariner, the lime tree bower my prison, frost at midnight and kubla khan. Can someone pleasew give me some helpful tips on doing this.
It also says to get pictures to represent the poems and how the pictures will help the readers understanding better. Is anyone else doing this assessment at the moment or has anyone else done it before. Please help. If anyone has done an essay on this please send it to me. thanks. please reply back.,

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
imation, welcome to the BOS forums!

a few handy tips to get you a head start on this assignment you've got

1) do a bit of research into the important features of an 'original material' for the anthology. does this imply a discursive essay? or in the style of a feature article? an academic paper? this will help you structure and plan out your response.

2) find some resources on the coleridge poems, paying particular attention to information that has great relevance to imaginative journeys. there are a couple of study guides around specifically tailored for the HSC course, should be around in ur local bookshop, or library. online resources ranges from student's notes on www.boredofstudies.org, to coleridge fan sites, to actual literary analysises on the poems themselves, like on sparknotes. then, choose which poems to do that u think u can write a good response to.

3) many literary websites that contains coleridge's poems contain images of the adventures and memories depicted in the poems. a good artist to look for is WILLIAM BLAKE. i remember he was the one who did an artwork depicting the dead albatross hung around the Mariner's neck.

also, u can look for generic things, like paintings of natural scenery to help describe the strong emphasis of nature that coleridge focuses his poems on.

when describing its relevance, pay attention to this like:

-colour
-shape, size
-relative positioning of shapes
-connection of shapes with text
-irony, contradiction
-caricature, humour
-repitition, monotony, monotone
-posture, facial expressions
-the medium used to produce the cartoon (e.g. watercolour, oil colour, digital media, etc...)...

those are visual techniques that help make the audience understand better.

hopefully this will help you. all the best, M.D.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)