Hiii need discursive help please (1 Viewer)

sarbear.h

HSC
Hi,
I'm doing English Advanced right now and I have to write a discursive for my portfolio which is an in class exam to an unseen text/stimulus. The expectation is to be able to spring from wider sources and delve into a deeper, personal and conceptional discussion. How do I practice for this? How do I prepare these wider sources?

hsc student 2021

HSC
Hi, I hope this helps if you understand what each means:
Understanding the Discursive Format

1. Know the Structure: A discursive essay typically has an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The introduction should present the topic and your approach, the body paragraphs should explore different perspectives, and the conclusion should summarise your discussion.
  2. Balanced Arguments: Ensure you present multiple viewpoints on the topic. Your essay should reflect a balanced and objective discussion.
  3. Personal Insight: While the discussion is balanced, don't hesitate to include personal reflections or anecdotes if they help to illustrate your points.
Practicing Writing
  1. Timed Practice: Set aside time to practice writing discursive essays within a time limit similar to your exam conditions. This will help you get used to thinking and writing quickly.
  2. Use Prompts: Create practice prompts or use past HSC discursive essay questions. Practice responding to these prompts within the given time frame.
  3. Feedback: Seek feedback from teachers or peers to improve your writing. Pay attention to their suggestions for enhancing your arguments and writing style.
Gathering Wider Sources
  1. Read Widely: Engage with a variety of texts, including newspapers, magazines, academic journals, books, and reputable online sources. Focus on current affairs, cultural issues, and philosophical debates.
  2. Note Key Ideas: Keep a journal or a digital document where you summarise key ideas, quotes, and arguments from these sources. This will be a valuable resource during your exam preparation.
  3. Explore Different Perspectives: Read opinion pieces and essays that present different viewpoints on common issues. This will help you develop a balanced approach to your writing.
  4. Stay Informed: Follow current events and trends. Understanding contemporary issues will provide you with relevant material to draw upon in your essays.
Conceptual and Personal Discussions
  1. Reflect on Personal Experiences: Consider how your personal experiences relate to broader societal issues. These reflections can provide unique insights into your discursive essays.
  2. Engage in Discussions: Participate in discussions and debates with classmates, friends, or family. This will help you articulate your thoughts and consider different perspectives.
  3. Practice Critical Thinking: Regularly practice critically analysing texts and situations. Ask yourself questions about the underlying assumptions, implications, and broader context of your reading.
By combining these strategies, you'll be well-prepared to tackle your discursive essay in class. Good luck with your preparation!

sarbear.h

HSC
Hi, I hope this helps if you understand what each means:
Understanding the Discursive Format

1. Know the Structure: A discursive essay typically has an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The introduction should present the topic and your approach, the body paragraphs should explore different perspectives, and the conclusion should summarise your discussion.
  2. Balanced Arguments: Ensure you present multiple viewpoints on the topic. Your essay should reflect a balanced and objective discussion.
  3. Personal Insight: While the discussion is balanced, don't hesitate to include personal reflections or anecdotes if they help to illustrate your points.
Practicing Writing
  1. Timed Practice: Set aside time to practice writing discursive essays within a time limit similar to your exam conditions. This will help you get used to thinking and writing quickly.
  2. Use Prompts: Create practice prompts or use past HSC discursive essay questions. Practice responding to these prompts within the given time frame.
  3. Feedback: Seek feedback from teachers or peers to improve your writing. Pay attention to their suggestions for enhancing your arguments and writing style.
Gathering Wider Sources
  1. Read Widely: Engage with a variety of texts, including newspapers, magazines, academic journals, books, and reputable online sources. Focus on current affairs, cultural issues, and philosophical debates.
  2. Note Key Ideas: Keep a journal or a digital document where you summarise key ideas, quotes, and arguments from these sources. This will be a valuable resource during your exam preparation.
  3. Explore Different Perspectives: Read opinion pieces and essays that present different viewpoints on common issues. This will help you develop a balanced approach to your writing.
  4. Stay Informed: Follow current events and trends. Understanding contemporary issues will provide you with relevant material to draw upon in your essays.
Conceptual and Personal Discussions
  1. Reflect on Personal Experiences: Consider how your personal experiences relate to broader societal issues. These reflections can provide unique insights into your discursive essays.
  2. Engage in Discussions: Participate in discussions and debates with classmates, friends, or family. This will help you articulate your thoughts and consider different perspectives.
  3. Practice Critical Thinking: Regularly practice critically analysing texts and situations. Ask yourself questions about the underlying assumptions, implications, and broader context of your reading.
By combining these strategies, you'll be well-prepared to tackle your discursive essay in class. Good luck with your preparation!
This doesn't help how I should prepare a discursive that reflects that I've read widely and am able to draw inspiration from them.

hsc student 2021

HSC
This doesn't help how I should prepare a discursive that reflects that I've read widely and can draw inspiration from them.
Hi, I understand that you need specific guidance on how to prepare a discursive essay that demonstrates wide reading and the ability to draw inspiration from various sources. Give me some time; I will put something together, but remember, being able to get information from wider reading and use it helps. I will be back with some ideas ....in about an hour...let me think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)