history extension essay helpppp (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
anyone have any tips on the actual argumentative side of the hsc essay? I know all the points, debates and historians however I’m really struggling to have my own voice and critique the source

what kind of phrases can I use to critique the sources they give us to analyse and can I use first person or is that frowned upon? eg “the assumptions made by source A are entirely false due to xyz (insert evidence here”
does that work?

RossoneriAU

HSC
anyone have any tips on the actual argumentative side of the hsc essay? I know all the points, debates and historians however I’m really struggling to have my own voice and critique the source

what kind of phrases can I use to critique the sources they give us to analyse and can I use first person or is that frowned upon? eg “the assumptions made by source A are entirely false due to xyz (insert evidence here”
does that work?
Just to preface what I'm about to say, I didn't do history extension, but I'm just gonna use the same logic I applied for modern history in this context instead. I tended to avoid using first-person because I felt that it made everything seem too casual, but I feel that the example you gave pretty much sums up the way I would answer it.

E.g. “the assumptions made by source A are entirely false due to xyz, as highlighted by [historian]; "(quote)" indicates that (your interpretation of quote mixed with your critique)

You just gotta make sure the quote reinforces what you are arguing

AuroraXT

HSC
Whilst first person is probably not the best idea, unlike in Modern/Ancient History, you want include your own voice which demonstrates your own opinion on historiography. For example if the question was on the purposes of history. I would argue that Bede uses history to spread Christianity whilst Herodotus uses history to glorify the grand narratives of war demonstrating that ''History is not always used for academic pursuit'' (pretend this is a quote from a source). However, Von Ranke and Edward Gibbons do show history can be used for educational purposes as demonstrated through their methodologies (insert evidence). This shows the multifaceted nature of history for the purposes of history are defined by the contexts and backgrounds of different historians - Your own voice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)