Horizon lines (1 Viewer)

corpse

HSC
Hey!

Does anyone have any information on horizon lines?

The effects of having a low, high, or slanting horizon line?

I know either high or low is supposed to give a feeling of depth, but I can't remember which one.

Any help would be really appreciated, this is frustrating. ^_^

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Umm..I think the high horizon line is for a deeper picture...greater foreground, less sky...

I don't really know much about them..just that they should never be in the dead centre of the page.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.. :(

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
The following is just what I ended up picking up from art, design, and photography practices (rather than learning it from a written source).

Low horizon lines can create an airy (and potentially dreamlike) feel. They also tend to lessen the depth of a picture (since there is generally no point of comparison between very near and very far objects).

High horizon lines create a feeling of weight, grounding forces, and distance. As a result they do indeed provide a greater feeling of depth (I suppose this is because people are more in touch with relative sizes and differences among those things that share the earth with them, as well as the atmospheric effects of distance on objects further away from them).

Tilted horizon lines create a feeling of tension, uneasiness, psychological imbalance, or alienation.

Edit: Although there are, of course, exceptions to every rule. Hope this helps, anyway!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)