• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How are beta emitters manufactured? (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
This is some confusing question. :confused:

Please answer it for me. :uhhuh:

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
you don't manufacture an emmission type - but come about from nuclear reactions

e.g (this case is from a nuclear reactor)

You may bombard plutonium with a neutron to form americium, but because the new nucleus is unstable (the neutron : proton ratio is to high) it will emit a beta particle.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh a beta emitter is basically an element with an unstable nucleus that is emitting electrons, its not like its a machine, u just have to grab something lower than it in the periodic table and add a few neutrons (i think)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
From the Catholic Trials paper 2002:

"Describe how beta emitters, such as sodium-24, are manufactured."

I didn't think you can specifically manufacture beta-emitters, either. But there's the question.

gordo said:
u just have to grab something lower than it in the periodic table and add a few neutrons
And gordo, your grasp of scientific terminology is excellent. :rolleyes:

nit

HSC
Neutron bombardment (ie neutron-induced transmutation) ought to suffice to be able to produce a beta emitter. Basically, increasing the no. of neutrons in the species would increase the Neutron:proton ratio, and beta emission can be conceived of as a process of converting a neutron into a proton. Hence this coupling of reactions would be favoured. This process takes place in nuclear reactors such as HIFAR at Lucas Heights. It is the process by which commercial beta emitters such as 99-Tc and 131-I are produced.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nit said:
Neutron bombardment (ie neutron-induced transmutation) ought to suffice to be able to produce a beta emitter. Basically, increasing the no. of neutrons in the species would increase the Neutron:proton ratio, and beta emission can be conceived of as a process of converting a neutron into a proton. Hence this coupling of reactions would be favoured. This process takes place in nuclear reactors such as HIFAR at Lucas Heights. It is the process by which commercial beta emitters such as 99-Tc and 131-I are produced.
My god, you just took the scattered flour crumbs of my knowledge and baked me a loaf of answers. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)