How are you going? (1 Viewer)

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Hey I was just wondering where everyone else was up to in Latin in the state?
What lines are you up to in Vergil and Ciero and how much have you memorised?

I'm up to section 35 of chapter 22 in Cicero and line 470 in Vergil btw.

andy100

HSC
christoph said:
Hey I was just wondering where everyone else was up to in Latin in the state?
What lines are you up to in Vergil and Ciero and how much have you memorised?

I'm up to section 35 of chapter 22 in Cicero and line 470 in Vergil btw.
dont bother memorizing the translation, its a waste of time

zhongie

HSC
You're better off learning vocab and the grammar so you can translate the text off the cuff...it's better for your unseen skills. Just KNOW the text really well.

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Yeah sorry, i didn't really mean 'memorise' but rather 'know really well' or in other words, how much have you studied.

sykoticklown

HSC
HAHA, aeneas

oh, how am I going...

gr8..

u?

ROFL

yeh, dun memorise the trans, thats silly... LOL, my head would explode..

just do heaps of unseen practise, just find random passages of latin from where eva and translate them... and a REALLY NERDY fun thing that aeneas and I did in class was translate the latest really annoying pop songs into LATIN... LOL, we even went so far as to try and keep the same amount of syllables... YAY for us inspiring new vergils... LOFL

shafqat

HSC
N/A
well id disagree
although i didnt memorise myself (coz i have a crap memory) some other students did, and it helped them
mayb u can read the translation over while scanning the latin

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Yeah that's the best way I reckon, to look at the english while scanning the latin and so connecting certain latin phrases with english ones.

HSC
I'm at Sydney Grammar, and I think we're a bit unusual in that we do Cicero and Vergil at the same time; we have our exams coming up next week so for Aeneid we've finished the grammatical section, i.e. up to line 627. For Cicero we haven't gone quite so far, we finished chapter 42.
I don't agree that you shouldn't memorise the translation. It really isn't that hard, it's just memorising a story, and it actually feels very satisfying to read through your entire prescription and know it all. 80% of the marks available are for seen texts, to my way of thinking that's almost 80% free marks, if you know the texts really well, you'll know the grammar and commentary stuff for sure.

Last edited:

*banaz*

HSC
my teacher made us do both texts at once too. I must say it is really confusing, but good practise in that we have both texts to study for our half yearly, just like the hsc. It means we go heaps slow too...has anyone actually finished any of their prescribed texts? I'm at the open high and up to just past half way for both.

HSC
We have two teachers, one for each text...we have 2periods of Cicero and 3 of Virgil a week normally...

illusions

HSC
N/A
Vocabulator = <3

What school are you at? (I have a friend at Scots who colour-codes nouns, too)

aimstar

HSC
we did cicero first and now we have just finished the grammar section of the Aeneid. I tend to memorise the translation slightly, more just the crazy diction of the teacher, gotta love when they r trying 2 be 'poetic'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)