How Do I Approach Module B Essays? (1 Viewer)

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Hello, fellow BoSers!

In my experience of English Advanced, Module B is by far my weakness and it is the module that I struggle to grasp / understand.

For reference, I am doing King Henry IV Part I as my Module B text for the English Advanced course.

For those of you who have already completed your HSC journey, or for those who are in the midst of reaching its completion, I have a few lot of questions.

It would be great if any of my questions could be answered in reference or application to King Henry IV Part I as it would improve my understanding of everything : )

- How do you structure a general Module B essay? For example, in Common Module, a standard structure may consist of one body paragraph on Individual Experiences, Collective Experiences and Evaluation of Authorial Intent, respectively.

- How do you find quotes that apply to all possible questions? For instance, in Module A, you are looking for the resonances and dissonances, and the textual conversation can also be analysed in a table, however, in regards to Module B, I’m not quite sure how to approach this (both finding quotes and tabulating). I don’t have much clarity.

- How do you evaluate your text and its significance? Module B demands discussion regarding textual integrity and whatnot, but, how would you go about this in a critical response?

- What exactly are aesthetic and imaginative aspects? How do these arise and how do you explore them?

- What do personal and intellectual connections refer to? (especially since this came up as the Module B question for 2023!)

- Can you lose marks for not referencing critics? There is debate on whether one should reference critics or not. Personally, I prefer engaging with my personal voice that has been developed through research and reading, but will this jeopardise my marks later on?

I understand that I have quite a few questions, but it’s always better to ask for help than remain stuck 😣

(Disclaimer: I may have more questions as the days go on…)

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide and I hope my questions also help fellow students!

Thank you! : D

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hello, fellow BoSers!

In my experience of English Advanced, Module B is by far my weakness and it is the module that I struggle to grasp / understand.

For reference, I am doing King Henry IV Part I as my Module B text for the English Advanced course.

For those of you who have already completed your HSC journey, or for those who are in the midst of reaching its completion, I have a few lot of questions.

It would be great if any of my questions could be answered in reference or application to King Henry IV Part I as it would improve my understanding of everything : )

- How do you structure a general Module B essay? For example, in Common Module, a standard structure may consist of one body paragraph on Individual Experiences, Collective Experiences and Evaluation of Authorial Intent, respectively.

- How do you find quotes that apply to all possible questions? For instance, in Module A, you are looking for the resonances and dissonances, and the textual conversation can also be analysed in a table, however, in regards to Module B, I’m not quite sure how to approach this (both finding quotes and tabulating). I don’t have much clarity.

- How do you evaluate your text and its significance? Module B demands discussion regarding textual integrity and whatnot, but, how would you go about this in a critical response?

- What exactly are aesthetic and imaginative aspects? How do these arise and how do you explore them?

- What do personal and intellectual connections refer to? (especially since this came up as the Module B question for 2023!)

I understand that I have quite a few questions, but it’s always better to ask for help than remain stuck 😣

(Disclaimer: I may have more questions as the days go on…)

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide and I hope my questions also help fellow students!

Thank you! : D
1) I've honestly never heard of that structure for Common Module; I myself used a completely different one that meshed all three of those into each body paragraph. Similarly, there's no 100% Word of God structure for Module B, do it how you feel like it answers the question the most. I did not do Henry IV but for the novel I did the structure I used was [Thesis about stasis and historical revisionism] => How individuals revise history => how society as a collective revises history => the impact this revision has on stasis and change. Other people just did [wrote out thesis] and then split it into three sub-ideas in regards to themes; that's completely fine too. There's no explicit structure that'll encompass everything, just write it out how you think you should or try to organise your ideas into three sub-ideas and then go from there.

2) When I wrote my essays I didn't really think about what quotes applied to any potential questions - I wrote my essays with no question in mind (a very generic one) so that it was more of 'How can I adapt this essay to fit every possible question?' See the bigger picture - you're looking to mould the ideas of your essay (intro + topic sentences of your body paragraphs) not the tiny details within it. Sometimes the quotes you memorise won't fit the question perfectly, but if you mould your analysis and the overarching topic sentence enough it should be fine (can be done with some prior practise with past hsc questions or with the help of the adrenaline kicking in during exam planning time)

3) I kind of mentioned it in my intro and sprinkled evaluative language here and there, and also in my link sentences if possible. Though bear in mind it's mostly implied as you write your essay (same with textual integrity which is what significance falls under, no need to mention the textual integrity of the text explicitly in your response).

4) Aesthetic and imaginative aspects are, in the aspect of Module B, are just vague buzzwords for a sub-idea of textual integrity; specifically, the part about how different parts of the text come together to form a cohesive whole. I'd argue that these just encompass form and literary techniques. Try not to overthink it.

5) Bear in mind that one aspect Module B is the critical aspect - and that's about your own personal, critical perspective to Module B. That already ticks off the personal connections part - you have a personal connection to the text (or at least you pretend you have one) and through this connection you're able to formulate your own take and idea of the text. The critical nature of Module B already implies that you have an intellectual connection as well. Try not to think too much into it - they are, again, just buzzwords for the rubric (as most non-specific text theme questions for Common + B are). Once you identify the buzzwords it becomes a lot easier to adapt your essay to answer the question.

vajayjay

HSC
1) I've honestly never heard of that structure for Common Module; I myself used a completely different one that meshed all three of those into each body paragraph. Similarly, there's no 100% Word of God structure for Module B, do it how you feel like it answers the question the most. I did not do Henry IV but for the novel I did the structure I used was [Thesis about stasis and historical revisionism] => How individuals revise history => how society as a collective revises history => the impact this revision has on stasis and change. Other people just did [wrote out thesis] and then split it into three sub-ideas in regards to themes; that's completely fine too. There's no explicit structure that'll encompass everything, just write it out how you think you should or try to organise your ideas into three sub-ideas and then go from there.

2) When I wrote my essays I didn't really think about what quotes applied to any potential questions - I wrote my essays with no question in mind (a very generic one) so that it was more of 'How can I adapt this essay to fit every possible question?' See the bigger picture - you're looking to mould the ideas of your essay (intro + topic sentences of your body paragraphs) not the tiny details within it. Sometimes the quotes you memorise won't fit the question perfectly, but if you mould your analysis and the overarching topic sentence enough it should be fine (can be done with some prior practise with past hsc questions or with the help of the adrenaline kicking in during exam planning time)

3) I kind of mentioned it in my intro and sprinkled evaluative language here and there, and also in my link sentences if possible. Though bear in mind it's mostly implied as you write your essay (same with textual integrity which is what significance falls under, no need to mention the textual integrity of the text explicitly in your response).

4) Aesthetic and imaginative aspects are, in the aspect of Module B, are just vague buzzwords for a sub-idea of textual integrity; specifically, the part about how different parts of the text come together to form a cohesive whole. I'd argue that these just encompass form and literary techniques. Try not to overthink it.

5) Bear in mind that one aspect Module B is the critical aspect - and that's about your own personal, critical perspective to Module B. That already ticks off the personal connections part - you have a personal connection to the text (or at least you pretend you have one) and through this connection you're able to formulate your own take and idea of the text. The critical nature of Module B already implies that you have an intellectual connection as well. Try not to think too much into it - they are, again, just buzzwords for the rubric (as most non-specific text theme questions for Common + B are). Once you identify the buzzwords it becomes a lot easier to adapt your essay to answer the question.
marry me pls

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC

@Masaken YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH 😭 (bookmarking your response ASAP)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)