• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do i cope with 15 units!? (2 Viewers)

misspriss

Class of 07!
HSC
Hey guys,

I have 15 units at the moment and i want to know how best to cope :confused: . I come into school 4 mornings a week at 7:30am and stay behind on a friday afternoon because my extension subjects aren't in the timetable. Furthermore, I have to keep on an extra subject to fill in my timetable so i have 15 units! :bomb:

I'm doing 3 unit english, 3 unit maths, music, drama, legal, geography and religion (I go to a catholic school). Thanks! Good luck with ur studies!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
so what your saying is that you can't drop a subject because you need to fill in your timetable? thats really stupid if thats the case.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
misspriss said:
Metaphorically speaking, that's exactly what's going to happen to you if you attempt to continue doing 15 units of subjects. It's just not sustainable and obviously you won't have time to do anything other than keeping up with homework and study. My advice to you is pick a 2 unit subject you least like and drop it. 13 units is manageable. 15 is not.
Good luck. ;)

P

pLuvia

misspriss said:
Hey guys,

I have 15 units at the moment and i want to know how best to cope :confused: . I come into school 4 mornings a week at 7:30am and stay behind on a friday afternoon because my extension subjects aren't in the timetable. Furthermore, I have to keep on an extra subject to fill in my timetable so i have 15 units! :bomb:

I'm doing 3 unit english, 3 unit maths, music, drama, legal, geography and religion (I go to a catholic school). Thanks! Good luck with ur studies!
Well I think the only way is to drop a subject, but that's just stupid because minimum you really need for year 11 is 12 units, and I'm confused how 15 units would not fit on the timetable. You need to speak with your Year Advisor and principal about this matter.

You will put a lot of stress on yourself at a very early stage. 4 mornings a week is hectic, I had 3 which was already crazy :p, but now I have one :D

Good luck

amara89

HSC
it seems as though you may have over exerted yourself...you will soon begin to realise what you can and cannot handle, don't worry too much you still have plenty of time.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I'm surprised the school let you do that many The people at my school who study a TAFE course as part of Prelim outside of school hours don't have to do extra subjects, they just get free periods (well, "study" periods the teachers call them!:p )

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol. ask webby if you wanna know how to cope with 15 units. lol. that guy is crazy.

richz

heres sum advice, u cant cope with 15 units, drop a subject and trust me u'll do so much better. I mean wats the pt in 15 units. IMO 12 shud b the max. 2 units for security, but last year i bludged my last 2 units so it was a waste of time. but i kept it becuz i didnt do anything in free periods anyway.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
webby234 said:
However, if you do need to do fifteen units, you might just be able to do it for year 11, especially if you are treating SOR as a bludge. Legal studies doesn't require too much work if you're generally interested in it anyway and if you can get your major project done for Geography the rest shouldn't be so hard.

However, it is probably too hard for you do other activities such as mock trial, musicals etc. while doing fifteen units. It was hard enough juggling 13 units, MUNA, mock trial and chess all at once, especially when my Trials for Maths and Physics came up.

I would still recommend dropping a subject. Some schools will allow you to drop SOR if it will help you get a better HSC mark.
true. but some schools are really religious; thus they don't allow you to drop SoR !!

luckily i don't go to a religious school!! ~_~''

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You're in Year 11, and therefore you only have to do a minimum of 12 units. I'll say it pretty bluntly: there is no rationale for doing 15 units, and I advise you drop down to at least 13, 12 if possible. Pick out the subject you like least and get rid of it because you'll simply burn down in flames with that much work. It's not worth it. 10 units are all that's needed for a UAI, and 12 is probably as high as you want to go. 15 is insane, Prelim or HSC year.

I_F

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
insert-username said:
You're in Year 11, and therefore you only have to do a minimum of 12 units. I'll say it pretty bluntly: there is no rationale for doing 15 units, and I advise you drop down to at least 13, 12 if possible. Pick out the subject you like least and get rid of it because you'll simply burn down in flames with that much work. It's not worth it. 10 units are all that's needed for a UAI, and 12 is probably as high as you want to go. 15 is insane, Prelim or HSC year.

I_F
u should talk to webby about that! :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
shinji said:
u should talk to webby about that! :p
webby did 4 units (2 unit Maths, Physics) in the HSC last year, and he's doing 13 in the HSC this year (see his sig). Hence, 17 units over 2 years. :)

I_F

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha. i getcha now!

but .. what about his prelim year? how many units for his prelim year he do?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
shinji said:
haha. i getcha now!

but .. what about his prelim year? how many units for his prelim year he do?
I'd assume 12. He simply accelerated in Physics and Maths and sat the HSC exams for them. :)

I_F

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha k.

i wouldn't if i were offered to accelerate subjects ... but im not smart enough to! :(

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
misspriss said:
Hey guys,

Hey misspriss,

15 units is quite a heavy load to carry and I think you'll find that it is simply not sustainable throughout the HSC without detriment to your marks. I can understand your desire to take so many courses during your preliminary year as its difficult to know exactly what you are interested in and doing so many would give you a preview into what you might want to do during the HSC. 15 units is suicide in the HSC year though. The largest study load I would expect anyone to take in one year for their HSC is 13 or 14 units and thats only if you are exceptionally keen. For most students I would reccomend 12 units or 10 if you are having difficulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)