How do you hill start? (1 Viewer)

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
(assuming you're a manual driver)

You're on a hill at traffic lights. Right foot on the foot brake, you're in neutral. Left foot is on the clutch or whatever you do at the lights. When it's time to go, do you:

a) Have the handbrake on, shift to first, rev and let the clutch out a little, drop the handbrake as the car starts to build a little torque;

b) Have the handbrake off, shift to first before the lights change, let the clutch out till the friction point, hold the car on the clutch and then drive off whenever the lights change;

c) Have the handbrake off, clutch in and shifter to first, let the clutch out a little and then move your right foot off the brake and to the accelerator and drive off.

Sorry if they're not clear. Elaborate if you do something else, I'm just arguing with my dad about whether it's bad to hold the car on the clutch. For the record I do something like c, despite being taught to do A.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
47.46.45 said:
(assuming you're a manual driver)

You're on a hill at traffic lights. Right foot on the foot brake, you're in neutral. Left foot is on the clutch or whatever you do at the lights. When it's time to go, do you:

a) Have the handbrake on, shift to first, rev and let the clutch out a little, drop the handbrake as the car starts to build a little torque;

b) Have the handbrake off, shift to first before the lights change, let the clutch out till the friction point, hold the car on the clutch and then drive off whenever the lights change;

c) Have the handbrake off, clutch in and shifter to first, let the clutch out a little and then move your right foot off the brake and to the accelerator and drive off.

Sorry if they're not clear. Elaborate if you do something else, I'm just arguing with my dad about whether it's bad to hold the car on the clutch. For the record I do something like c, despite being taught to do A.
I do something similar to A. Except I let the clutch out to the friction point before I rev. Sometimes I use B. why would you have the handbrake on AND the footbrake?

breed obsession
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I do something similar to A. Except I let the clutch out to the friction point before I rev. Sometimes I use B. why would you have the handbrake on AND the footbrake?
Unless you stop using the ebrake you're probably going to have them both on for a while or something :p I don't know, maybe I wrote the situation badly.

A is definitely easier (like less can go wrong) but C is less effort if you're quick on the pedals and good at judging the gradient of the hill.

Muz4PM

HSC
I generally do A, especially if there are cars behind me. If I am on a small slope, or there are no cars behind me I do C.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
In a fwd the car 'leans' forward about as far as the suspension allows it before they tighten. It won't happen in a rwd because the power's delivered to wheels which are clamped by the handbrake.

:/ lol noobs ruining their clutch.

breed obsession
HSC
Azamakumar said:
In a fwd the car 'leans' forward about as far as the suspension allows it before they tighten. It won't happen in a rwd because the power's delivered to wheels which are clamped by the handbrake.
Some old POS cars use front calipers to ebrake don't they?

Even when I use the ebrake I never ever ever have enough torque at the wheels for the car to be straining against the brakes :s that seems ridiculous overkill.

breed obsession
HSC
Azamakumar said:
lol @ ur shit car
Haha, I'm pretty sure that my car could put out enough powaz to drive off with the handbrake still engaged. I'm just not a shit enough driver to need to be straining against my own brakes before I realise that the car's ready to move.

And re: the front wheel ebraking, my friends and I aquired a shit ford during the holidays and the handbrake once refused to disengage, which lead to the front left brake catching on fire. So there's at least one FWD car out there that uses the front wheels with the ebrake.
It got stolen from Penrith and I've actually seen it twice since. I wish them the best of luck with what was undoubtedly the worlds shittest vehicle.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I think I'd be quite scared doing a hill start, especially in a city.
I know how to drive Manuals, and I've drove in the city (only in an auto), but I've got nowhere to practice.
Where I live it is flat as, only ever done one hill start and that was down near the river.
I think I'll stick to automatics when around hills/in cities.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I've done it before I was due for new tires. There's no wear on the brakes, theres just minor clutch wear and sped tire wear.

EDIT: but to answer the topic, I'm so lazy I usually slow down coming to a stop and hold the friction point, mostly because I drive around populated areas and i don't want to stall or take ages.

L-esky

HSC
I probably do something like A...but I really don't know. I just know when I'm doing a hill start I always have the handbrake on because some of the hills around here are pretty steep and I don't like rolling backwards at all.
Hill starts are about the only thing I can do well but I can't think of how I actually do them. I just can.
Pity I still suck at reverse parallel parking.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
47.46.45 said:
And re: the front wheel ebraking
Calling it an ebrake and making it work on the front wheel is the stupidest thing ever, you'd have no control over the car when it's applied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)