How do you use percentiles in Lazseeker? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
okay ... if you get a mark of, say 81 for a certain subject A, then look at the bands and add up the percentages for bands 6 and 5 and that should be roughly the percentile for that subject ... you can modify it a bit ...

for those saying what if i got 85 ... well you look at the percentages for band 6 and estimate about where you are in the band 5 group ... i would guess for 85, one would be around at least the 60% of the band 5 group ...

any questions ... (please dont ask any because im not too sure myself) ...

zemaj

Ahhhhh.... I still have no idea :confused:

Say I got 94 in physics, what would I need to add in the percentile thing?

-zem

hornet

yeah. For those out there who didn't pick that up, I'll explain it a little more in depth

Say u got 85% HSC in subject x. Thats half way between 90 (band 6) and 80 (band 5). Go to this page:

http://boredofstudies.org/bands.html

When you are there, find your subject. Notice it has the percentage of people who got 6, 5, 4 etc bands. Now you got 85, half way between 6 and 5. Take the percentage who got band 5, half it, and add it to the percentage that got band 6 - this is your mark from the top down - ie 20% means u got top 20. Lazseeker works upside down to that, ie 80%. Now take away 100, and ignore the negative sign - and you have a lazseeker friendly mark (or percentile).

This should be a more accurate way of estimating ur UAI rather than plugging in your HSC marks - shouldn't it lazarus? (I hope!).

Morgues

I am not certain it is correct to assume 85 is right in the middle of band 5 and 6 even though 80s = band 5 and 90s = band 6

zemaj

Yeah it wouldn't - you could estimate better by looking at the percentile above and below to get an estimate of the spread - then when in doubt go lower to save yourself. It definately gives a much closer result than normal :rolleyes:

-zem

hornet

Originally posted by Morgues
I am not certain it is correct to assume 85 is right in the middle of band 5 and 6 even though 80s = band 5 and 90s = band 6
85 is in the middle of band 5, which starts at 80, and band 6 starts at 90. I think thats right anyhow....

When estimating, dont give yourself the benefit of the doubt :) while 85 is in the middle of 80 and 90, assume its cloer to 80, as thats how the results may well be.

josie_is_slut

i still dont get how u do it
can somoene do it for me
i jus give u my hsc marks

english std 68
4 unit maths 67
3 unit maths 84
ipt 68
physics 71
1 unit r.e 35

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Josie look at the percentile tables for each band of each subject (contained on the bored of studies website.

From the percentages you will be able to gauge how you went approximately in terms of percentiles. For example say you got 90 in chemistry this year.
That means you are in the top 8% of the state, which is the 92nd percentile.

I think everyone has to be careful though cause more people do the HSC this year compared to last year so there will obviously be more people who get over 90 or over 99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)