• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you write a critical response? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Figuratively speaking, are there idiot guides out there that teach one as inept as me how to write critical responses? e.g. helpful sites, collections of past MWs in this genre, etc. Ive noticed that the Writer's Showcase 03 thread wasnt very helpful as in addition to the fact that not much works are there, most are short stories as expected :( Is there a collection of MWs (of good quality that is) on the net somewhere available? Or perhaps any helpful books? thanks

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Young Writiers Showcase '02! It is UNBELIVABLY good! There was a huge range of critical responses, Personally... i think the best written was the last in the book... "Real to Ideal" That was written really well!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Young Writiers Showcase '02! It is UNBELIVABLY good! There was a huge range of critical responses, Personally... i think the best written was the last in the book... "Real to Ideal" That was written really well!
The '02' showcase WAS fantastic! I'm doing a critical response as well, and it is very similar to a typical essay you would do in 2 and 3 unit english. For my journal I did a whole lot of research on "how to write a critical response". (It'll make my journal look good!) I just went to google.com and typed in "writing critical responses" etc. I ended up taking up over 20 pages of my journal with all the info.

Hope that helped!

Giant Lobster

HSC
WHere do you get this "Young Writiers Showcase '02"?

edit: ahh crap you have to buy this? man.. BOS is really cashing in on us.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
your school should have a copy or not check the bos site for ordering details....

Giant Lobster

HSC
Actually yeh my school has a copy... but damn, it wud be most useful if I had some with me now cos of all this free time. :(

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
your school should have a copy or not check the bos site for ordering details....
Most schools do, except for my stingy hole. I ended up buying the 01 and 02 Showcase. They aren't THAT expensive, plus my mum figures she spent heaps on my brother's tutoring, so buying me a few books here and there is nothing.

Giant Lobster

HSC
You have to order em directly from BOS right? Do they do business in the holidays? :)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
You have to order em directly from BOS right? Do they do business in the holidays? :)
You do have to order them directly from the BOS. They probably are working in the hols...but even so, order it NOW, coz it takes so long to get to you.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
From the '02' or '01' book? Unless we type it up, i have no idea of another way of putting it here. lol

But if you go to the 2003 BoS Young Writers Showcase the first thread in this forum, you can read a few. The Crit Response about Shakespeare and the Simpsons is very, very good!

Edited to say: I think it's called "All That Glisters is not D'oh"

cheeky_panda

HSC
I really wanna read this "Real to Ideal" critical response. It sounds so relevant to my major work and interesting. I'll have to wait til school goes back so i can check it out - if our school owns a copy. Exciting.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Told you guys the Calvin Klein one was good. It was really relevant, and most importantly READABLE! I never ended up finishing that "deconstructing notions of imperialism...." i dont know why... just couldnt get through it

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Told you guys the Calvin Klein one was good. It was really relevant, and most importantly READABLE! I never ended up finishing that "deconstructing notions of imperialism...." i dont know why... just couldnt get through it
ARGHHH! That one went right over my head. It scared me, coz the student had produced an amazing piece of work with all big words, and I don't think I can ever get to that standard!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i have a copy of the umm 2002 i think on computer. i would post them up but i am completely inept with computers and dont know how to link it. can anyone give me a hand here?

Giant Lobster

HSC
i have a copy of the umm 2002 i think on computer. i would post them up but i am completely inept with computers and dont know how to link it. can anyone give me a hand here?
what's an 'umm'?

to upload files on this forum, in the reply section (not the one at the bottom of this page, u have to click the "post reply" button at the end of this post) theres an 'Attach file' section below the main text box. Click browse and select the file u wish to attach

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)