• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How does scaling differ within schools? (1 Viewer)

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Hi im wondering how scaling works between schools, and why most selective are highly scaled up.
im attending sydney boys high right now and i was told because evrybody does well in subjects like4u that we get scaled pretty high and makes a deal of a difference in our marks.
im looking to change to my public school cos im not doing too well or to go to tafe, and im wondering is it wuld be a waste or a disadvantage to attend these instead of my school. ive also herd that because that evryone does well in assessments and that they are also more difficult, that our marks are pulled up.
example, if i ranked highly in a public school but evryone else had low marks, would my uai get pulled down a great deal because of this?
would i b able to achieve the same uai with same amount of effort in both schools?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
there is no different which schools you go to.

is a roflcopter
HSC
nor should you feel intimidate by the shit school you currently attend :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
rofl

seriously, the only way u'll get helped is if u do well in the HSC exams and rely on ur mates to do well too, which means the pool of marks u get is greater and u guys will recieve better moderated assessment marks...remember the moderated assessment marks are determined on the HSC marks recieved

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyph
With guys like guoben in your school, I'd get the fuck out of there! :D
i dun think there's anything innately wrong with sydney boys' high, cyph. now that guoben and lesadistic are banned, can this anti-SBHS sentiment stop?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
that's coz i'm don't incessantly spam shit all over the bloody forums, unlike some people who registered a little over a month ago (june 21), has got 832 posts, with an average of 23.97 posts a day (!), and has dominated a few isolated forums with shit. *cough-cough*

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
neway.. to the point

ur advantaged by being at a selective school because even if u dont get a high ranking, everyone elses HSC marks are generally gonna be pretty good.. so ur moderated assessment mark will benefit.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
you must be in year 11 kaspa??

well i switched from a selective school (St george girls) to a comprehensive one and i am doing well and i still expect a fairly good uai. as long as YOU work hard, i dont think it makes much difference.. you just have to do your personal best. there are certain advantages with selective schools e.g resources... and it is true about the pool of marks being higher, but again, if you do well full stop then nothing can really change that.

may i ask why you are leaving? are you unhappy socially..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)