How does scaling work? (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
ngl while I know the difficulty of the subject plays a primary role in how a subject scales, what is the general overview on how UAC determines how a subject scales for that year?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Contrary to popular belief, scaling has nothing to do with difficulty of the subject. It is actually not possible to quantify “difficulty” objectively, so I honestly do not know why this myth keeps persisting.

Scaling is completely data driven and is based on how many “smart” people are in cohort - which is quantified by looking at how everyone performs in their other subjects. This may be correlated with a subject’s “difficulty” so there is likely a classic confusion between correlation vs causation (but difficulty is subjective, for example I find English way more difficult than Maths Ext 2 yet the latter scales better).

A simplified illustrative example is say there are only two subjects A and B. Subject A is taken by 10000 students, of which 3000 also take subject B (and no one else takes subject B). Suppose that the average for subject A is 50% for all 10000 students. However, if you only look at the subset of 3000 students in subject A who also took subject B their average is 60% in subject A. This suggests that, on average, the cohort in subject B is stronger than the cohort in subject A. Therefore, subject B should have a higher scaled average than subject A as the final scaling outcome.

Notice that this is entirely driven by the data and has nothing to do with whether subject A is more/less “difficult” than subject B.

This is how scaling actually works for Extension subjects where a direct comparison possible, but for non-extension subjects it gets very complicated once you compare many permutations of other subjects at the same time.

So hypothetically, if the Maths Ext1 cohort somehow scored a lower average in Maths Adv than the broader Maths Adv cohort as a whole, then Maths Ext1 would actually get a lower scaled average than Maths Adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)