How easy is the secondary education without tuition centers? (1 Viewer)

shinolyn

HSC
N/A
Do you think it would be possible for the students to cope up to the standards without attending tuition's?

jules.09

HSC
Definitely.

It really depends on what subjects you're doing, where you're at and your level of commitment.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Do you think it would be possible for the students to cope up to the standards without attending tuition's?
It depends if you are better than your teacher or just a normal student. If you are better than your teacher intellectually, you can do anything by yourself. Just buy books and read them. Some teachers are not even worth listening to.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Definitely possible, although tuition would indeed help to boost your performance up if you are dedicated.

yummy-cookies

HSC
definitely. I only recently started coaching and I hate it. It isn't helping at all

Babbu

HSC
In pervious years, that is in Years 10, 11 and even before I kept on repeating that I do not need tutors like others do.
In year 12 now, I still do not have a single tutor. But I feel those who go for tutoring, do end up gaining in some way.

I was doing very well till Year 11. But even in Year 11, I came to know that the whole class had joined one or the other tutoring centres or private tutors (i know all the inside information where they all go but sure enough all of them go).
Then by Year 12 many of those whom I thought were way behind me in scientific knowledge, overtook me. Still I feel they know much less than me but they are following strategies taught by their tutors. They learnt the techniques in year 11 itself whereas I kept doing wider study instead of defining myself.

HSC IS NOTHING. Very easy is one FOLLOWS THE "DOT POINTS", knows how to MEMORISE, works very hard while following the syllabus.
There is nothing in this well-defined syllabus and anyone can learn it. Anyone can outdo anyone with just a bit of well planned study

If only it was a real test of knwledge...which it is not.

HSC is all about tutoring. Most of the top rankers have been guided and trained by their tutors. And they all begin it early in Year 10 or Year 11...join a tutor and keep learning the tricks of the trade....how to answer 1 mark, 2 mark, 5 mark ....8 mark questions.....how to write best in a defined way...how to "assess", "analyse", "evaluate", how to "identify".

HSC is not a true test of knowledge.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
However, I do believe that some students are only doing well because they go tutoring.

banipal753

HSC
i think that gettin tutored in the HSC is like taking steroids in the Olympics

Sure, we are all capable of gettin tutored, but is the HSC a test of our own education? or that of our tutors through us? If there wasnt any tutoring i think those who get 90+ uai's truly deserve them, now im not sayin those who do get those uai's dont. Surely they work hard for it and dedicate alot of time, my point is that if tutoring wasnt permitted or banned, then the HSC would be a greater, more accurate, measure of our acquired knowledge.

Despite this, i would be very sorry if we were to see another Marion Jones situation lol, u dont HAVE to give back ur 99 UAI's ahahahhaha

autumn-bird

HSC
of course! i haven't had formal tution for the whole of my school life, and i'm doing pretty well.

i guess it depends on the student individually though. however, i do agree with some others in this thread, and believe that some students only get high marks because of the extra tutoring they get. i bet if they suddenly stopped tutoring, their marks would suffer...

K

khorne

i think that gettin tutored in the HSC is like taking steroids in the Olympics

Sure, we are all capable of gettin tutored, but is the HSC a test of our own education? or that of our tutors through us? If there wasnt any tutoring i think those who get 90+ uai's truly deserve them, now im not sayin those who do get those uai's dont. Surely they work hard for it and dedicate alot of time, my point is that if tutoring wasnt permitted or banned, then the HSC would be a greater, more accurate, measure of our acquired knowledge.

Despite this, i would be very sorry if we were to see another Marion Jones situation lol, u dont HAVE to give back ur 99 UAI's ahahahhaha
If we follow your logic...students shouldn't be able to study at home nor work ahead of the class..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
Hehe

And yes, it's quite easy without going to a tuition centre if you're self motivated :)

banipal753

HSC
If we follow your logic...students shouldn't be able to study at home nor work ahead of the class..
No, you miss my point, im not saying students SHOULD'NT get tutoring, im merely saying that if the HSC/UAI/ATAR is to be considered an accurate measure of one's academic/scholastic ability, then tutoring would negate such accuracies, thus flaws the system.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
In pervious years, that is in Years 10, 11 and even before I kept on repeating that I do not need tutors like others do.
In year 12 now, I still do not have a single tutor. But I feel those who go for tutoring, do end up gaining in some way.

I was doing very well till Year 11. But even in Year 11, I came to know that the whole class had joined one or the other tutoring centres or private tutors (i know all the inside information where they all go but sure enough all of them go).
Then by Year 12 many of those whom I thought were way behind me in scientific knowledge, overtook me. Still I feel they know much less than me but they are following strategies taught by their tutors. They learnt the techniques in year 11 itself whereas I kept doing wider study instead of defining myself.
Your experience is about right. If you are only doing self-study, you don't always get things right. Imagine that a complex problem is a search-space. When you self-study you search this space yourself and often arrive late because others are given the short cuts. It's to your advantage later that you do the hard yards while others take the short cuts. However sticking to self-discovery is not always the best strategy. You should often import the clever discoveries of others into your problem solving. It saves time and also may shed light on your mistakes. Coached kids get better marks as they are given good strategies to save time and eliminate mistakes. They waste less time. but they are also facing other problems like dependency on others to think for them. They will be less able to cope when they are on their own (like in University).

I think if you have great teachers at schools, you will be able to compete with coached students and do even better. The game is to study in a smart way and not to use brute-mental-force to gain marks. Those who use brute-force will become tired in the long journey through year 11-12 then to University.

I think eventhose who don't want to waste time on coaching should benefit a lot by having a chance to talk to experienced teachers once a month (one on one). If your schoolteachers offer you this, you will do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)