How good are Gifted and talented class in local high school? (1 Viewer)

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
Selective results are out and I missed getting an offer though overall scores are great. I m currently on reserve for nsb, Sb and normanhurst. My option is local hill school which has gifted and talented stream. Should I consider? Are they competitive? Or seek any private school for one year and then try again entry for y8 selective via HAST. Please guide. Thank you

glubadubbadop

HSC
Really depends on the school but I would think they aren't as competitive as selective. Imo private can be a waste of money if the teachers are bad so take that into account, again depends on the school.

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
Really depends on the school but I would think they aren't as competitive as selective. Imo private can be a waste of money if the teachers are bad so take that into account, again depends on the school.
Thank you. The school we have is castle hill high gnt

glubadubbadop

HSC
From a quick look on Wikipedia it looks good. Regarding picking that or private talk it through with your parents and ask others I really can't decide for you

Remember year 7 is only one year of your high school study and shouldn't be of much concern since it doesn't affect your atar, for me it was kind of a bludge. Like you said you can always switch as many others do. Gl with those schools you got a reserve for

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
From a quick look on Wikipedia it looks good. Regarding picking that or private talk it through with your parents and ask others I really can't decide for you

Remember year 7 is only one year of your high school study and shouldn't be of much concern since it doesn't affect your atar, for me it was kind of a bludge. Like you said you can always switch as many others do. Gl with those schools you got a reserve for
Thank you. Wish I just made it...

wzsmartypants

HSC
y8 entry is extremely difficult as not a lot of people will be leaving. as someone whos been in gifted and talented and is currently in the selective stream of a partially selective school, gat's competitiveness is in no way near selective schools + they merge the classes in hsc years.

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
y8 entry is extremely difficult as not a lot of people will be leaving. as someone whos been in gifted and talented and is currently in the selective stream of a partially selective school, gat's competitiveness is in no way near selective schools + they merge the classes in hsc years.
Hmm so gnt easier ofcourse than selective cohort. U reckon I explore private? Thanks

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Selective results are out and I missed getting an offer though overall scores are great. I m currently on reserve for nsb, Sb and normanhurst. My option is local hill school which has gifted and talented stream. Should I consider? Are they competitive? Or seek any private school for one year and then try again entry for y8 selective via HAST. Please guide. Thank you
yo bro, I am in selective stream for a high school and it rlly isn't that good, most kids are shit. The environment is no way near to what a fully selective school would be like. They also merge community and selective in hsc years so thats no good. Regarding Hast I did it this yr for entry into yr 10, you have a lot of years ahead of you so you can try for selective multiple times if you wish.

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
yo bro, I am in selective stream for a high school and it rlly isn't that good, most kids are shit. The environment is no way near to what a fully selective school would be like. They also merge community and selective in hsc years so thats no good. Regarding Hast I did it this yr for entry into yr 10, you have a lot of years ahead of you so you can try for selective multiple times if you wish.
Thank you. Do you think I should go privatebfor few years?

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Thank you. Do you think I should go privatebfor few years?
really just depends on the private, but a selective school would be best(as there are minimal fees and most rank better than privates), I think you should try for selective for entry into year 8 or 9 just to see if you can make it in, if you manage to get into your reserved schools that would be the best option. But yeah it really just depends ont he private your going to.

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
really just depends on the private, but a selective school would be best(as there are minimal fees and most rank better than privates), I think you should try for selective for entry into year 8 or 9 just to see if you can make it in, if you manage to get into your reserved schools that would be the best option. But yeah it really just depends ont he private your going to.
Thank you.

fx82au

HSC
This is a late reply, but my school is ranked very low in nsw (around 400-500), and there are no special classes for the gifted and talented. But I can guarantee you that if youre doing well in a subject, and you show an interest in it your teachers will go above and beyond to help you out, give you resources, and improve your understanding of the subject.

In my case, my eng adv teacher is very generous in helping me out. I am doing well in english, yet the teacher understands that I enjoy and understand math + science better. She knows that my english writing can improve tremendously, and thus pushes me to do my best. She has purchased resources for me to be able to study and learn better, and has even offered to purchase textbooks and online subscriptions for me (I know, what an amazing teacher).

At the end of the day every school has teachers that want their students to do well. If you show an interest and appreciation in a subject, the teacher will go above and beyond in helping you regardless of there being a gifted and talented class - the teacher to an extent will treat you as an entire 'gifted and talented' class.

unicornbubbles4

HSC
N/A
I am also part of the Castle Hill High School High potential and gifted (formerly known as Gifted and talented). I applied this year and got 10th reserve at Girraween.

Deeps80

HSC
N/A
I am also part of the Castle Hill High School High potential and gifted (formerly known as Gifted and talented). I applied this year and got 10th reserve at Girraween.
This is great. Goodluck with Girraween. I have now secured a scholarship with Northholm Grammar. Will move with this and fingers crossed my reserve list moves in selective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)