How important is Context in this module? (1 Viewer)

annliveshere

HSC
Hey,

I'm making a comparative table for my texts, and I was just wondering how important it is to have a sound understanding of context..? I have a fairly general understanding of how Prohibition, etc affected The Big Sleep, but I was wondering if anyone had been taught heaps about context?

I know there is a context/values focus in the text, but because the content of most essays revolve around conventions and stuff, I haven't ever made much of a song and dance about contextual details.

What do you guys think?!

(P.S - We have like THREE days left till the exam!!!!!)

blackall46

HSC
context influences the flexibility of the genre. the need to cater for modern audiences, for example, changes some of the conventions... like language, role of protagonist, audience's intended reaction all that shit

im doing revenge and yeah its a pretty important part of how the composer creates the feelings the audience is supposed to feel about characters and certain events.

Last edited:

starrysky

HSC
Same here; I'm doing speculative. Context is important because it shapes the nature of the text, which is probably why my teacher goes "research into the times in which the composers lived so you have a more thorough understanding of context".

Context is 478628476284 times easier to link to both composers and the actual text itself than most other things, though.

patpat

HSC
I'm doing crime fiction as well and I think context is very important. Crime fiction is effectively moulded by the context - you use context to say how the ideas presented in the texts have come about, why certain conventions have been retained, altered or even subverted and other things like that, all of which are aimed at either appealing to the audience or reflecting society or something along those lines..

ahh shoot the exams in two days. practice essays completed? none.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)