How important is O-Week? (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I'm in a bit of a predicament as I need to work during O-Week.

How important is O-Week? What things can I learn from this event?

Paroissien

HSC
You can miss it, and there will be no problems.
Of course I have nothing to base this on, so probably better get some other advice...

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
In all honesty i think that you could miss oweek and you wouldnt be paticularly disadvantaged- however you have to make sure that you enrol and pick all of your subjects during oweek so you would have to be at ANU for at least one day to get all of that sorted out. However, if you can get out of work it would probably be advantageous for you because oweek initiates you into the basics of uni life and gives you an idea of what to expect out of uni. The biggest advantage ofoweek is that you will meet ppl, which always helps when your starting out in a new place.

Reezle

HSC
The other thing is clubs and societies market day, where you can shop around for clubs and funnily enough societies you would like to join. You could find out about and join clubs even if you don't go to the market, but it could be a bit of a hassle for you, and there wouldn't be any free lollies. This goes nearly all day.

Will you be working 9-5? If not, there will probably be things on around the times you have off. The study skills centre does a morning long talk about student life and studying, which is quite good, but not vital. They run some free courses during semester anyway, which are probably more overly worthwhile.

The other 'serious' sort of event is faculty/subject talks, but these generally just go over degree plans, majors and tell you to ask for help if you need it, that sort of thing.

Mainly O-Week is to get you feeling familiar with the place. The freebies aren't that good, unless you go in for calico bags.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
My uni pal says its just an excuse to get drunk and free food.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)