How is Computer Science at Western Sydney Uni /What should I do / my life is fked (1 Viewer)

heyheyhey3

HSC
Backstory:

I've been in uni for a couple of years, transferred to UNSW Eco after my first year of Commerce Arts at MAQ Uni, then changed courses at UNSW because I realised that I really disliked Commerce/Eco after tragically failing Accounting 1A. My interests changed after seeing how competitive the environment is at UNSW for Business/Eco/Commerce students, didn't like the vibe and I just knew I wasn't going to do well in comparison and switched to Arts. I basically started doing whatever course I thought I'd be interested in taking. So I found out I am interested in programming/computer science but I heavily screwed up my marks by taking first year Maths and Comp together which I wasn't ready to do so, ultimately really effing up my WAM beyond return.

I know I would be in no way able to transfer internally so I applied on UAC for Computing Science at UTS. I didn't get an offer but WSU has given me an offer for Computer Science.

Anyone here done or know anyone that does Computer Science at WSU? What are their opinions about it?

I know ULTIMATELY what uni you go to won't determine your career/ life but I can't help but feel like I'm really downgrading, because I really can't lie to you. That stigma that WSU carries is real.....

Overall, my question is, could someone give me guidance on what I should do or how I should approach things?

TLDR is:
>Transferred from MAQ to UNSW after first year

>Didn't know what I was interested in at uni,

>been fumbling around at a good uni for two years,

>became interested in Computer Science.

>Did first year Comp subjects but failed them real good

> Can't internally transfer so applied in UAC

> Wanted to go for UTS Computing Science

>Got offer from WSU for Computer Science

>Feel like I'm getting downgraded.

>Need life and decision making advice

Sorry for the really hard-to-read post.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Look honestly I can't tell you much about how Computer Science is a UWS but I can give you a story that may provide you with some motivation.

One of my tutors friends after HSC ended up going to UWS even though he did get an offer from UNSW/USYD. He also did it for Computer Science as well and ended up getting the University Medal for Comp Sci. Now he earns a six figure salary above $200,000 and has apartments that his company pays for.

So if you feel like your downgrading, just work really hard and if you can aim for that University medal. These are all my tutors words btw

Good Luck!

heyheyhey3

HSC
Hey Drdusk, thank you for your reply! I feel the same, if I need to go to WSU I really need to work my ass off.
Also congratulations on your fantastic HSC results :)
My dilemma really is caring too much about what others think of me and comparing myself to others. But in reality we’re all on our separate paths in life. I feel like this is also a test to see if I really like computer science enough to transfer out for it. Ahhhhhh !!!!!

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Look honestly I can't tell you much about how Computer Science is a UWS but I can give you a story that may provide you with some motivation.

One of my tutors friends after HSC ended up going to UWS even though he did get an offer from UNSW/USYD. He also did it for Computer Science as well and ended up getting the University Medal for Comp Sci. Now he earns a six figure salary above $200,000 and has apartments that his company pays for.

So if you feel like your downgrading, just work really hard and if you can aim for that University medal. These are all my tutors words btw

Good Luck!
what you think of Dr Du?

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Backstory:

I've been in uni for a couple of years, transferred to UNSW Eco after my first year of Commerce Arts at MAQ Uni, then changed courses at UNSW because I realised that I really disliked Commerce/Eco after tragically failing Accounting 1A. My interests changed after seeing how competitive the environment is at UNSW for Business/Eco/Commerce students, didn't like the vibe and I just knew I wasn't going to do well in comparison and switched to Arts. I basically started doing whatever course I thought I'd be interested in taking. So I found out I am interested in programming/computer science but I heavily screwed up my marks by taking first year Maths and Comp together which I wasn't ready to do so, ultimately really effing up my WAM beyond return.

I know I would be in no way able to transfer internally so I applied on UAC for Computing Science at UTS. I didn't get an offer but WSU has given me an offer for Computer Science.

Anyone here done or know anyone that does Computer Science at WSU? What are their opinions about it?

I know ULTIMATELY what uni you go to won't determine your career/ life but I can't help but feel like I'm really downgrading, because I really can't lie to you. That stigma that WSU carries is real.....

Overall, my question is, could someone give me guidance on what I should do or how I should approach things?

TLDR is:
>Transferred from MAQ to UNSW after first year

>Didn't know what I was interested in at uni,

>been fumbling around at a good uni for two years,

>became interested in Computer Science.

>Did first year Comp subjects but failed them real good

> Can't internally transfer so applied in UAC

> Wanted to go for UTS Computing Science

>Got offer from WSU for Computer Science

>Feel like I'm getting downgraded.

>Need life and decision making advice

Sorry for the really hard-to-read post.
all I know is that jimmy went to WSU for 3 years and he is a legend so I recommend it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)