How Is Power Portrayed In Antony & Cleopatra? (1 Viewer)

Bree.Leigh

HSC
Okay so i have to do a speech in two weeks which i havn't yet started, the speech has to discuss the quote "power is fleeting" and refer to two seperate scenes in Antony & Cleopatra which shows this.
My english teacher is really hopeless, considering I'm doing advanced and every year up to this year I've mostly understood English, I'm really angry about the fact that this year I'm just not getting it, she doesn't discuss what our assignments are about until the day before and she won't explain what this play is about, I know the general idea, but you can't write a speech off a general idea, and I've tried reading the play, but Shakespeare is my downfall and I just really don't understand the Shakspearean language, could anyone please help, it would be muchly appreciated.

agua.fuego

HSC
I have never read Antony and Cleopatra, although judging from Sparknotes it seems pretty good.

My advice is go Sparknotes, No Fear Shakespeare, and here:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=power+antony+cleopatra&meta=

It has a lot of good links just by searching those 3 words, and the fourth one down seems kind of what you're looking for...

No Fear Shakespeare - it is the greatest thing around, because you have the Shakespearean language on one side, and then EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS, on the other, it is completely translated into plain English. http://nfs.sparknotes.com/
You can also order them online (I've gotten Hamlet through Dymocks, for next year) and then smirk at everyone as they feebly attempt to decipher Shakespeare's words. And you don't have to cause it's right there in front of you.

Another bit of advice - go find other English teachers. The ones who taught you the most, or the ones that you thought were the best teachers, or whatever. I got through my Shakespeare last year by talking entirely to my year 7 English teacher. English co-ordinator's good, too.

Any other questions, PM me, I'm willing to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)