how many hours spent on 4u/day (1 Viewer)

landoffire

HSC
N/A
outside of class, how many hours do yall think is needed to get an E4? I'm an average student in 3u, internal rank is in low 30s at a top 20 school. do you think it is even worthwhile to pick up 4u?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, given the nature and difficulty of Mathematics Extension 2, it would be reasonable to suggest allocating as much study time as possible towards this subject, while being mindful of your performance in your other subjects. Mathematics Extension 2 is a more difficult and challenging subject than Mathematics Extension 1, although your rank in Mathematics Extension 1 indicates that you may be able to take and perform well in Mathematics Extension 2, assuming that your cohort is academically capable given your school rank, and assuming that you are part of a large cohort (for example, being ranked in the 30s in a cohort of 50 students may be interpreted as less advantageous than being ranked in the 30s in a cohort of 100 students).

If you are interested in taking Mathematics Extension 2, it would be better to take it and give it a try than not to take it at all, leaving you to wonder whether you would have been able to perform well, had you taken it. Subsequently, you can determine whether to keep it or continue with Mathematics Extension 1 based on your performance in your tasks. Doing so would allow you to make an informed decision, compared to not taking Mathematics Extension 2 at all, in which case you can only make speculations.

I hope this helps! :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I don't think it comes down to how many hours it is. It comes down to the depth of learning milestones. Ball park figure that I throw around though is 1.5-2 hours a day across entire spectrum of maths. That would average to about 14 hours a week. This is based on 30 min - 1 hour of review + 1 hour of past paper (or exam question style) work.

Students pursue this highest level of maths for various reasons. It can be for strategic purpose of dropping a less desirable subject or it can be due to a more pure reason of doing something that you may enjoy/do well in. If you keep up your effort and assuming that you maintain your low 30s rank, Band 6 is unlikely. But if you can genuinely see yourself pushing beyond your current boundaries and establish a good routine of revision and early preparation, there is no reason not to get into that low to mid Band 6. If you have other Ext subject that rounds up the number of units to 10 though, I am not sure if Ext 2 is the right choice unless you are passionate about maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)