• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many readings for each poem do we need? (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
how many readings for each gwen harwood poem do we need?
is it one or 2 because i'm struggling to find 2.

bubble_tea

at least 2..

christian reading, psychoanalytical reading or feminist reading.

nguyentech

HSC
i was under the impression that we needed to know atleast 2 poems and one reading for each??? that's what i've been doing throughout the year... so can anyone confirm this please?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
no that is totally wrong

for my first yeats assessment (so not harwood but is still poetry) i did one poem with pomo reading and one poem with marxist reading. i lost marks because technically the assessment was only half done. our teacher says you should do two readings per poem, how you structure it is up to you. basically the only two ways to really do it are say, intro, poem + 2 readings, other poem + 2 readings, conclusion, orrr intro, reading + two poems, other reading + two poems, conclusion.

noseintheclouds

where i always am, with my nose in the clouds
HSC
N/A
Some different readings and a short explanation

I know this might be late and unneeded but my teacher put together a sheet that gave us different readings of Harwood’s poetry so I thought you might like to take a look. I hope it helps!

Different Readings of Harwood’s poetry:

Romanticism: The role of the imagination in transcending concrete reality. (Alter Ego, The Glass Jar, Father and Child and The Violets)

Feminist
: Tension. (Prize Giving)

Modernism: Sense of existential loneliness. Dichotomy between public and private. (At Mornington and Prize Giving)

Music:
Musical allusion. Emphasis of aural quality in her poetry. “I think all my writing has been influenced by the fact I was a trained musician.” Harwood, 1975

Freduian Psychology (Psychoanalytic):
Freudian model of self. (Alter Ego and Prize Giving) Oedipus complex (Glass Jar)

There are also multiple readings which include READING: text within a text, which can be reading her in a modernist framework and decoding the cultural code or the historical context. Then there is INTERPRETATION: text upon a text which is recurring values and issues. And finally, CRITICISM: text against a text which is recognition that Harwood’s poetry reflects particular values and is not simply a timeless creation and acknowledges there can be different responses.

“Our job is not to produce ‘readings’ for our students but to give them the tools for producing their own,” Scholls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)