• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many words in one minute? (1 Viewer)

mad80boy

HSC
Hey
How many words are you able to write in a minute?
Our teacher timed us for one minute to see how much we could write and I did about 45 words some people got like 60 words that insane.

beentherdunthat

HSC
During exam conditions, and under pressure, you'd be surprised about how fast you write.

ofcourse, there's the problem of how fast you think as well :eek:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
try and get just over 1000 in 35 min. In the HSC you'll ahve 40 min to write an essay, which you will ahve prepared for before hand, so you'll be writing for about 35min, and you'll need 5 min to mould your essay to the questions by changing topic sentences and your intro and conclusion. Most people write about 900 words, but if you can get 1100 then you've got an advantage in getting the 19 or 20 /20's. :)

beentherdunthat

HSC
Not reallly... as long as you make your point, the length shouldn't matter. And some teachers can't be fucked reading long essays about bullshit.

To tell you the truth, I wrote like 2 booklets for most of my essays lol. :eek:

mad80boy

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Not reallly... as long as you make your point, the length shouldn't matter. And some teachers can't be fucked reading long essays about bullshit.

To tell you the truth, I wrote like 2 booklets for most of my essays lol. :eek:
Yeah we had to write an essay last week and I used the whole booklet we were given and some people wrote like 2 booklets, but they still get the same marks as someone who did'nt even fill one whole booklet.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
but if you end up writing more than other people, the examiner is going to have a better impression even before they start marking it, which will proberbly get you a better mark (hopefully).

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Not necessarily. Quality > Quantity [although you need a decent amount of quantity]. Also, the examiners have been doing this for many years are experienced enough to be used to common students' habits such as, bullshitting the whole essay or using sophisticated language when they have no idea what they're talking about.

michael1990

HSC
Not sure how many i write.

It all comes down to quality before quanitity.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
either way, you need at least 900 if your going to get your point across with enough quotations and explainations. remember, you're looking for about 6 strong quotes for each of the essays. if your body paragraphs are 200, 200, 200, and your intro and conclusion add up to 300, then thats pretty balanced, and you have 900 words. I don't imagine you could get a 19 or 20 with anything significantly less than 900.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
In exam conditions? Around 1400 words in 50 minutes or something... so that's about a consistent 28wpm.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Continuum said:
In exam conditions? Around 1400 words in 50 minutes or something... so that's about a consistent 28wpm.
thats a pretty good speed. I'm trying to learn to write with both hands, so if one hands gets tired, i can just use my other hand. :D

right now ,my right hand writing still looks like scribble, but i'm sure i can rectify that problem if i just write with my right hand all through english for the next year, (excluding assessments tasks. i'll do those with my proper hand.)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
foram said:
thats a pretty good speed. I'm trying to learn to write with both hands, so if one hands gets tired, i can just use my other hand. :D

right now ,my right hand writing still looks like scribble, but i'm sure i can rectify that problem if i just write with my right hand all through english for the next year, (excluding assessments tasks. i'll do those with my proper hand.)
Scribble doesn't count. :p

I get annoyed when my handwriting in an essay looks rushed or inconsistent for some reason. It's a different story with short answer questions though. :uhoh:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Continuum said:
Scribble doesn't count. :p

I get annoyed when my handwriting in an essay looks rushed or inconsistent for some reason. It's a different story with short answer questions though. :uhoh:
me too. it starts out super neat, then it degenerates into a mess. lol. i'm left handed, so i'm trying to learn to write with my right. XD

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Erm....you guys count how many words you write in about forty five minutes? Man, you guys need to sorta get out a bit more. :D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i'm not one of these people. i didn't count how much i wrote. i'm just saying how much i think is necessary to be written in 40 min.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah same. That being said - I sorta feel bad when I've written 5 pages in 50 minutes and there are others in my school who have written 8. And there's one guy who says he wrote 11, but I think he's bluffing. :\

bored of sc

HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah same. That being said - I sorta feel bad when I've written 5 pages in 50 minutes and there are others in my school who have written 8. And there's one guy who says he wrote 11, but I think he's bluffing. :\
don't forget quality over quantity :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aerath said:
Erm....you guys count how many words you write in about forty five minutes? Man, you guys need to sorta get out a bit more. :D
No way, counting takes too much time. :)

But yeah, I just typed up an essay and memorised it for the exam. Word count is awesome. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)