How much of physics is maths? (1 Viewer)

contro3ler

HSC
Is it a whole lot of just memorising formulas, or something that you just get a feel for like Chem?
I guess my question is: I'm not too great at maths (still doing ext1 next year lol), but I am pretty good at chemistry. How might I fare with physics?

Vall

HSC
If your doing ext 1 (or even just advanced) you’ll be fine for physics. There’s occasional simultaneous equations but nothing harder than that maths wise. Hardest bit is just working out what maths to use.

wizzkids

HSC
Mathematics Advanced or Mathematics Extension 1 would be quite adequate for HSC Physics. In my experience, you have to distinguish between students who have two types of mathematical ability. There are students who are good at crunching formulae and numbers (which I call formulaic maths) and students who think mathematically and can apply mathematical ideas to solve problems (the problem solvers). To excel at HSC Physics, you need more problem solving ability, and less formulaic maths. After all, the formulae are all given to you in the data sheet. Knowing which formula you should use is the hard part. I have known quite good students who pride themselves on formulaic maths who got frustrated with Physics (and to some extent Chemistry as well) because they could not understand the questions, and frequently made conceptual mistakes. So, my advice - focus on problem solving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)