how much to remember for "data sources" dot point (1 Viewer)

sssona09

HSC
just wondering - for a dotpoint like this
Assess the evidence which indicates increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen

should I remember statistics and stuff? or do they usually not ask/need that? like even for internals, could they ask smth for which we would need to actually know specific data?

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Yeah, I would remember statistics and stuff - at least that's what I did for my Chemistry preparation.

However, in your exams, they will most likely not ask you about specific events/data. For example, they won't ask "Assess how quantitative analysis of Antarctic ice core sample by the CSIRO have indicated rising levels of NO2 and SO2".

Instead, they will most likely ask a generic question like "Assess the evidence for increasing atmospheric concentration of acidic oxides". In your response, you'll want to refer to specific data points such as :

- Quantitative analysis of Antarctic ice core samples by the CSIRO have shown a steady increase in concentrations of these oxides
- Increased number of days where acidic oxide concentrations have been above safe levels.
- Increased incidence of acid rain (indirect evidence), the corrosion of buildings and the defoliation of plants.
- Increased incidence of photochemical smog (indirect evidence)

Also, since it's an assess question, just make sure to give a judgement on whether the information above was reliable/accurate. For me, I said that the accuracy of the data was low since:

- These oxides are difficult to detect and measure as their concentrations are generally below 0.01 ppm.
- Acidic oxides can react with water to form acids, and so large buildups of oxides are prevented.
- SO2 and NO2 form sulfate or nitrate ions which are hard to detect.
- SO2 can also be formed naturally through volcanic activity which is highly variable.

To be honest, I thought this dot-point was a bit of a drain since it's purely memorisation. I broke the data down into simple points as I thought it was easier to remember.

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

sssona09

HSC
ooh thank you for explaining!! sucks that its so much memorising haha but I like how you broke it into simple points :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)