How much work is a UOC exactly? (1 Viewer)

imaiyuki

HSC
im just asking to get an idea on how much work a typical 6 UOC course at UNSW or any other uni that uses the units system is, compared to say a 2 unit HSC subject

the conception that i have currently is that 6 UOC is roughly equivalent in workload to a single HSC unit? except it's less stringent maybe? i guess i could just wait a month and see but knowing how much work it is may help me plan my timetable better

pls uni people enlighten a plebeian ;)

thankssss

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
A full-time load is typically 3-4 subjects a semester, so in your place, I'd suggest starting with 4 subjects.

What degree?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
A full-time load is typically 3-4 subjects a semester, so in your place, I'd suggest starting with 4 subjects.

What degree?
Its at unsw they said so they will be doing the trimester so 2-3 subjects

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
im just asking to get an idea on how much work a typical 6 UOC course at UNSW or any other uni that uses the units system is, compared to say a 2 unit HSC subject

the conception that i have currently is that 6 UOC is roughly equivalent in workload to a single HSC unit? except it's less stringent maybe? i guess i could just wait a month and see but knowing how much work it is may help me plan my timetable better

pls uni people enlighten a plebeian ;)

thankssss
The UOC doesn't have any link with HSC in terms of amount of work. Each subject is 6 UOC at uni normally (unless it's like a subject that runs across semesters like a thesis project for honours and then it might be more to reflect it takes a longer time)

Aside from that though you can't really correlate the amount of work to the UOC because you could be doing an easy subject that is 6 UOC that requires a little bit of work each week or you could have a hard subject that is 6 UOC and it requires way more work. Amount of work will also depend on the type of degree, as some have more small tasks vs big ones as well as the ability of the student since if you pick up concepts quickly you might not need to study as much. Due to those factors it's not possible to make a comparison of time for study vs UOC

Try out your first semester and keep it relatively clear in terms of other activities that might consume a lot of time like sports, working at a job etc. You can still do these and its a good idea to keep on doing them for some hours but you dont want to overload yourself as you transition into uni. So if the workload you find is a lot you have the time to adapt to that in that case. Then as you better understand what uni is like in your degree you can increase the hours on those other things if you are comfortable with doing so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)