• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to get 50/50! (1 Viewer)

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
does neone hav ne advice on how to excel performance in 4u english?

wot r the common factors of success... not just in the composition process, but also in the actual composition as well...

Leap

free falling
HSC
Your Reflection Statement has to be really well written, and include evidence of lots of research

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
i c i c

what about the actual major work?

i read some of the 50/50 major works... n they were so HARD to read... they were so fragmented n used weird textual forms...

may i ask?
how did u go?

santaslayer

HSC
be original......try and sound like u know wot ur talking about..(in other words sound DEEP and INTELLIGENT)
try out different writing styles...dont just use the standard form of english writing.....

Leap

free falling
HSC
i read some of the 50/50 major works... n they were so HARD to read... they were so fragmented n used weird textual forms...
may i ask?
how did u go?
I got 49/50. I did a short story, and my teacher always said that it was important to always make your character's motives clear by the end of the story, so that it is believable, and to always justify everything in terms of purpose and audience. i.e if you're writing for an adult audience, don't over-simplify.

try and sound like u know wot ur talking about..(in other words sound DEEP and INTELLIGENT)
Bear in mind, though, that many other people in the course are also desperately trying to be deep and intelligent. The 'fragmented' and 'deep' major work is great if you can pull it off, but if its not what you're good at, you may just end up sounding pretentious and cliched.

My advice is to come up with an idea you will enjoy writing about (even if it isn't extremely original) and write in the style that you are best at (if you're doing a short story, that is). Generally by now you should have some idea whether you are better at writing 'deep' or abstractly, or satirically, lightheartedly etc.

good luck :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yeap my characters intentions were quite clear by the end i think :)

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
i c i c...

well i realli lyk the idea and plot of my story... but afta writing the first draft... i kno that the WAY (ie - language) i've written the piece reali cant compare to the realli high standard composition from past years... n truss me... THAT IS A LET DOWN :mad:

u mentioned the character's motivation...
well the persona reali dusnt haf a motivation... it is the people around her that do... and the responder doesnt find out what that motivation is until the very end... in a sort of twist....

do u think that is ok?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
for starters, try to write using higher class language every where. Yes, that includes here, in these forums. Sure, writing "u" instead of "you" might be quicker, but it doesn't help ones english. So if you get used to writing LONG 15 letter words that no one knows the meaning of, you'll be able to easily write them in exams/works. :)

Thats what i'm going to try and do anyway.

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
wtf.... its diff disgressions online!!

i got "chat" language... n i got "english" language...
its jus so much easier wif all the abbrieviations here...

btw... y the hell is abbrieviation such a long word?!?!?!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
gee, i don't know. no one's ever come out with that piece of insight before.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Bear in mind, though, that many other people in the course are also desperately trying to be deep and intelligent. The 'fragmented' and 'deep' major work is great if you can pull it off, but if its not what you're good at, you may just end up sounding pretentious and cliched.
That brings me to a funny point... ive read some other MWs and I can sometimes clearly see desperation of the writer in trying to sound intelligent. Like, at every opportunity, they would use a huge word forcibly, you could just tell they went right click > synonyms and chose a long awkwardly sounding one. But their sentence structuring remains pretty simplistic. (heh not urs Asylum, urs was pro! im stealing it :p)

So identifying other ppl's follies is one thing. When I read my own however, I cant find such pretentious "talkin out of my ass" stuff... but im pretty sure Im a hypocrit if i claim my work doesnt sound gay in the same way...

does anyone else have a similar problem when it comes to self assessment?

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
hahahhaha that is so funni

one of my classmates read out this analysis thing they wrote... n one of the words was reali long n weird... n no one had heard of it so wen we asked... she made up sum bs n we all laffed cos we knew she jus sh*tted... hahaha

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
well if u got 50/50 mayb u cud say that...

i dun think its easy
i think its a challenging but interesting subject...

olay

HSC
ahh i know what you mean about the wordiness. its not quite an attempt to sound intelligent as such...more just they're the dicky words that come out of your head at the moment [i'm talking about being under exam conditions here] and you end up with this really wanky sounding essay. D: hate it hate it!!!! :S i do it when i'm writing up assessments too. LOL so i go back and simplify stuf. :p

anyway... i think ext II just requires a high degree of one or both of the following:
* A waqt assed imagination/ original way of thought.
* A highly analytical mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)