How to study and improve for english in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Right now I'm thinking of reading other people's essays and taking notes of how they structure their work as well as maybe writing a few practice essay. I really struggle with cohesive and writing A range essays under timed conditions and my marks are very poor when I have to sit in class tests. Does anyone have any advice for how they improved in english during summer holidays?

skiddys

HSC
If you know what your prescribed texts are read them in advance and start doing notes. That way when you start covering it in class, you'll be able to supplement your notes rather than learn from scratch. Also it will either give you new ideas in class, or build on your ideas. If you've already read the texts, re-read them now and make notes. By notes I mean a cheat sheet with all the ideas and themes condensed and handy for you to use in practice essays. Now write heaps of practice essays. If you don't have time to do that, write drafts/essay plans. I find the Matrix blog has heaps of practice questions for all the modules.

Also get feedback from your teachers!!

antickie

HSC
Hey! Improving for english in the holidays seems tricky but it's very do-able. The most important thing is to break it down into small steps.

1. Finalise common module (i.e. be trials and HSC ready)
2. Read/Watch Module A & Module B texts
3. Read the syllabuses for the upcoming modules and understand them. Then, envision what questions you may be asked.
4. Practise unseen texts.

The trickiest part (and unfortunately the crucial part) for english improvement is that you need HIGH QUALITY FEEDBACK. There's no point in trying to rewrite the same poorly worded essay many times. For this I would recommend finding a friend who you trust is good at english, a school teacher who is happy to give you their time or check out sites that give you information on good writing.

Here is a 6 week study plan from our blog:

W'll be posting sample Common Module Questions & Module A & B breakdowns in the coming weeks! There are also articles in the blog on what helps sentences sound better.

If you are really struggling with your common module essay, DM me. I'm more than happy to have a look at one of your writing pieces and give some feedback.

P.S. I will be in China for a month. I'm trying out VPN but if I don't response the firewall may be why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)