• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to study for UMAT (1 Viewer)

arjunbansal

HSC
What is required for studying for the UMAT exam? Like there are course such as ICARUS college and Med Entry...but which one of those two is the best? And are these courses ripping us off?

aussiechica7

HSC
2004: didn't take medentry got 169
2006: took medentry got 204

i can't speak for icarus (i've only ever heard 1 person speak well of it) but i'd say about 80% of the ppl i know who've taken medentry (quite a lot) think it's excellent.

go for medentry and try and get a group discount. there r some ppl on the medicine/health thread looking for someone 2 do a group discount with. contact them :)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Are they ripping us off? It all depends on whether you're finding that the stuff you paid for is helping you. Coz, i paid for a medentry course, and when i went to the weekend seminar thingo, i didn't really learn anything new... They just told us pretty much common sense stuff....

but, the other things that they offer (10 practise papers, drills for all sections, eureka, etc, etc), i think make up for the shoddy 'lecture'. They maybe don't make up completely for what you paid (i paid less coz i was in a group, so it wasn't as bad for me), but it's pretty substantial compensation. well, that's what i reckon at least.

aussiechica7

HSC
compare $400 or so to the $8000 in HECS u might be paying for the first yr of a biomedical science degree u don't want because ur umat was crap. that's the way i looked at it lol

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
compare $400 or so to the $8000 in HECS u might be paying for the first yr of a biomedical science degree u don't want because ur umat was crap. that's the way i looked at it lol
I'm just curious, what was your UAI/ENTER/etc ?

I'm guessing it was awesome and it was only the UMAT that let you down?

aussiechica7

HSC
it wasn't that great but my umat was really bad. if my umat was better things would've been ok.
uai: 97.65
1st yr biomed gpa: 6.4
umat 1st time: 169. umat 2nd time: 204.

if i had gotten 204 umat score in 2004, i would've received interviews to so many med schools, and my weighted umat + my uai would've given me a bonded place at umelb (which was my 2nd choice of med school).

since my umat was so bad (especially considering my uai was less than 99) i received NO interviews ANYWHERE. rejection was quite harsh.

in 2005 i took a gap yr which i was planning to take anyway and didn't apply for med.

in 2006 i decided to start another degree (biomed) so i could at least b working towards something if med didn't work out (and also, once i finished the degree i could apply 2 grad entry med programs). i also took the umat and applied to uncle, unsw, uws, jcu and utas. i got 1st round offers to my 1st preferences: uncle and utas.

in 2007 i started med :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
arjunbansal said:
What is required for studying for the UMAT exam? Like there are course such as ICARUS college and Med Entry...but which one of those two is the best? And are these courses ripping us off?
Lol i dont think they are.
I`ve been going since year 10 ... and each year when I do their trial exam thing , my marks increase. I think I started at a 186 ? This year's exam I got 226 or something.
Um , yeah I rekn $600 is a bit much (how much I paid) , but then again , it`s all worth it in the end , like what aussiechica7 said :p
But I`m actually not considering medicine as a preference like many others =] ; I only do UMAT cos they need a score for those doing pharmacy @ Monash :eek:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
it wasn't that great but my umat was really bad. if my umat was better things would've been ok.
uai: 97.65
1st yr biomed gpa: 6.4
umat 1st time: 169. umat 2nd time: 204.

if i had gotten 204 umat score in 2004, i would've received interviews to so many med schools, and my weighted umat + my uai would've given me a bonded place at umelb (which was my 2nd choice of med school).

since my umat was so bad (especially considering my uai was less than 99) i received NO interviews ANYWHERE. rejection was quite harsh.

in 2005 i took a gap yr which i was planning to take anyway and didn't apply for med.

in 2006 i decided to start another degree (biomed) so i could at least b working towards something if med didn't work out (and also, once i finished the degree i could apply 2 grad entry med programs). i also took the umat and applied to uncle, unsw, uws, jcu and utas. i got 1st round offers to my 1st preferences: uncle and utas.

in 2007 i started med :)
What an inspiring story, it brought a tear to my eye...well not really because boys don't cry. =p

Anyway, it's nice that it worked out in the end for you. :)

Now I really hope that Section 3 of the UMAT doesn't murder me and it'd also be great to get an awesome UAI like 97. Such high hopes. :(

ssglain

HSC
I did consider attending preparation tutorials for UMAT for a while but decided not to. I'm planning to play bit with non-verbal-pattern-deciphering quizzes online and work through the practice questions booklets under exam conditions. There seems to be only one problem - can someone please explain to me the allocation of marks in UMAT? I understand that there are 44, 36, and 30 questions in sections 1, 2, 3 respectively. How many marks is each question worth and what is the maximum possible raw mark for each section? Also, is it correct that the final "scaled" mark is the sum of my percentile placements in each of the three sections, and hence is given out of 300?

Many thanks for your input.

Season

HSC
^^ that's what we'd all love to know

its a mystery, how the medical schools actually get "raw" marks and "percentiles" is really beyond us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)