How To Study (1 Viewer)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
So we all know that we should be studying consistently, but how - with what? Do any of you have tips for year 12/HSC studying?
i.e.
♥ Typing up notes for each lesson at the end of everyday?
♥ What to study in? Should I have a separate book or folder for each subject? My notes can get messy - so how can I keep everything collated?
♥ How to juggle two major works between it all? (PIP and Ext2 Eng for me.)

Any advice would be great.

Also...
♥ Do you recommend sport during year 12, which means training twice + games? I'm contemplating getting back into soccer.

Last edited:

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I highly suggest having one ring binder for school work/loose paper, and one large ring binder at home per subject (some subjects eg. eng ext. you might need two)

Major works - this is a good time for you to be researching your EE2 story ideas/backgrounds etc. Documenting this later on will be a poor use of your time, so get onto it now. Hopefully your idea will develop and mature from now to late August 2010 so the more time you work at it and write for it, the better it should get!
Juggling them - I did EE2, Art and HX1 but they never really clashed - I did most of my EE2 writing in April holidays, Art photography in May/June and HX1 was more or less also finished by May. So no opinion.

Typing up notes I suppose could be useful for large quantities of dates/facts, but my final study notes for each subject are handwritten. I think you should decide this on what is most readable - I find it hard to focus on typed summaries and handwriting engages me more - but this is a personal choice.

Most important advice - read all set texts now and don't take too many notes for humanities - most of them are superfluous.

Edit: sports! I think doing some sport is a great idea. Everyone needs exercise and good breaks from mental work, so go for it....and feel free to flake out of team around trials haha

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Just trying to pull myself together...don't want to make mistakes.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
So we all know that we should be studying consistently, but how - with what? Do any of you have tips for year 12/HSC studying?
i.e.
♥ What to study in? Should I have a separate book or folder for each subject? My notes can get messy - so how can I keep everything collated?

Also...
♥ Do you recommend sport during year 12, which means training twice + games? I'm contemplating getting back into soccer.
ya shove ya head in da books "ya mtyl shoo we" ahahahaha

Jeee

Banned
HSC
EXCUSE ME EXTENSION ENGLISH 2 PEOPLE

What kind of book log thing did you have? What do you even need for the subject?

I thank thee.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
we had a large a3~ hardcover book - the same thing we'd been using for art diaries from years 7-10. i only used up half but others in my class wrote on every page..

Cloesd

HSC
i.e.

Also...

"Typing up notes for each lesson at the end of everyday?"
yes

This is something i'v spent the last few years testing and perfecting, but a system/method for study.

Create a word document, and make a shortcut for it on your desktop in some highly accessible place.

A single document.

Now what you want to do, is the first lesson of the year (or whenever you start this system), you write notes in class whatever, and type them into the word document, ALL notes, from ALL subjects, into the one word document.

At the bottom write the letters "ee<digits>ee" where the digit is should be ONE DAY after the day the notes were typed up, put a comma,

and type in ee<digit2>ee where digit 2 is the date THREE DAYS after the date it was typed up,

finally put a comma type ee<digit3>ee where digit three is the date ONE WEEK after the notes were typed up.

Now highlight these three "ee<digit>ee" statements. These are your search index's when your "notes" get huge. Leave it, and add notes to it as you get them in this fashion, don't worry about organising them by subject, or organising them by priority or anything. Just have them in chunks seperated by the ee<digit>ee sets.

Now every day, after you finish putting in your notes for the day into the document, hit ctrl+f, (the search function) and look for ee<todaysdate>ee. You should be brought to one of the "chunks" that were scheduled for today, read the first few words of each "note" and look away, try to recollect the rest of it, without looking, then check to see what you missed. Put specific emphasis to make sure you get it next time. Once finished, delete the ee<todaysdate>ee and add to the end of it another scheduled date.

Do this until you've finished all of the scheduled pieces for that specific day.

typically you want to be revising things in an exponentially increasing gap manner. That is once you've learnt it, you want to be exposed to it later on that day (while typing it into the computer), the next day, 3 days after that, a week after that, 3 weeks after that, month after that, 2 months after that etc...

This basically "locks" it in as perma-knowledge. Come exam time you won't even need to revise, as you wouldn't have forgotten anything.

Currently my "document" for revision is about 334 pages long, i go in every day, hit ctrl+f ee<todaysdate>ee, and revise what was schueduled to be revised today months ago, surprisingly i remember almost everything.

takes about 30 minutes or so revising each days quota, but itl'l save you cram session come exam time, and you get into a habit that even once exams are done, youl'l still return and spend 30 mins revising, thus the knowledge is not just memorized for the exam and forgotten, its YOUR knowledge. I'v even taken to adding random things i want to remember like birthdays to the document.

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
"Typing up notes for each lesson at the end of everyday?"
yes

This is something i'v spent the last few years testing and perfecting, but a system/method for study.

Create a word document, and make a shortcut for it on your desktop in some highly accessible place.

A single document.

Now what you want to do, is the first lesson of the year (or whenever you start this system), you write notes in class whatever, and type them into the word document, ALL notes, from ALL subjects, into the one word document.

At the bottom write the letters "ee<digits>ee" where the digit is should be ONE DAY after the day the notes were typed up, put a comma,

and type in ee
<digit2>ee where digit 2 is the date THREE DAYS after the date it was typed up,

finally put a comma type ee
<digit3>ee where digit three is the date ONE WEEK after the notes were typed up.

Now highlight these three "ee<digit>ee" statements. These are your search index's when your "notes" get huge. Leave it, and add notes to it as you get them in this fashion, don't worry about organising them by subject, or organising them by priority or anything. Just have them in chunks seperated by the ee<digit>ee sets.

Now every day, after you finish putting in your notes for the day into the document, hit ctrl+f, (the search function) and look for ee<todaysdate>ee. You should be brought to one of the "chunks" that were scheduled for today, read the first few words of each "note" and look away, try to recollect the rest of it, without looking, then check to see what you missed. Put specific emphasis to make sure you get it next time. Once finished, delete the ee<todaysdate>ee and add to the end of it another scheduled date.

Do this until you've finished all of the scheduled pieces for that specific day.

typically you want to be revising things in an exponentially increasing gap manner. That is once you've learnt it, you want to be exposed to it later on that day (while typing it into the computer), the next day, 3 days after that, a week after that, 3 weeks after that, month after that, 2 months after that etc...

This basically "locks" it in as perma-knowledge. Come exam time you won't even need to revise, as you wouldn't have forgotten anything.

Currently my "document" for revision is about 334 pages long, i go in every day, hit ctrl+f ee<todaysdate>ee, and revise what was schueduled to be revised today months ago, surprisingly i remember almost everything.

takes about 30 minutes or so revising each days quota, but itl'l save you cram session come exam time, and you get into a habit that even once exams are done, youl'l still return and spend 30 mins revising, thus the knowledge is not just memorized for the exam and forgotten, its YOUR knowledge. I'v even taken to adding random things i want to remember like birthdays to the document.
Hey, thanks heaps for your tips : )
I'm just a little confused with what is in bold. What do you mean by the digits, and when do you delete the eeee's etc?
Thanks.

</todaysdate></todaysdate></todaysdate></digit></digit></digit3></digit2></digits>

HiHaii

HSC
it's just like doing your homework, similar to revising over what you've done over the day.

♥
What to study in? Should I have a separate book or folder for each subject? My notes can get messy - so how can I keep everything collated?
Haha I'm currently in year 10 and notes starts to get messy every now and then. So I made an in and out tray like most business people =D It keeps my work tidy can all in separate places.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Cloesd, you there? I like your technique, but I'm not grasping it entirely.

Sociasci010

HSC
This is my regime:

Monday to Thursday After School:
1) Read over notes from each subject
2) Summarise each days notes in a summary exercise book i have for all my theory subjects. I exclude English from this, and for Maths i have an exercise book which i summarise and write out theories, formulas and examples for easy reference. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each subject, depending on how much has been written and the way in which you summarise, whether it dot-point or full sentences.So anywhere between 30mins to 90mins a day is pretty good.

Weekend:
1) Summarise Fridays notes.
2) Read over notes from the past week in summary books.

And i'll use my free periods for reading over topics in my textbooks we have previously studied, or are currently studying, or topics i don't have much background in.

I like my regime, keeps me organised and most importantly i won't be cramming and spending hours frustrated copying out 11 months of notes come HSC Trials and HSC Exams. :)

lychnobity

HSC
Cloesd, you there? I like your technique, but I'm not grasping it entirely.
I'll try (even though it's not my method):

Basically, the ee system is a numbering system, a bookmark sort of. An alternate way of explaining it would be to use letters to correspond to a certain day eg A for the first day, B for the second day

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i type my notes two weeks before the exam
and i do my hw as soon as i get home
and then i do some extra study for some subjects, such as summarising notes out of different textbooks from the library

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)