• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Howard and Costello - The 'Deal' (2 Viewers)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Howard insists no leadership deal done

Howard insists no leadership deal done
Steve Lewis, Chief political correspondent
July 10, 2006

JOHN Howard has again been forced to deny striking a deal to hand control of his Government to Peter Costello after revelations of a secret meeting between the pair 12 years ago.

Reports that the Prime Minister talked of handing over to the Treasurer during a December 1994 meeting with Mr Costello yesterday prompted some of Mr Howard's closest allies to question whether he can put off declaring his future intentions until Christmas.

The explosive details of the meeting, revealed in News Limited newspapers yesterday, were confirmed by former Liberal minister Ian McLachlan, who was at the meeting between Mr Howard and Mr Costello.

[continued - see link]
Costello bombshell on PM 'deal'

Costello bombshell on PM 'deal'
July 10, 2006 - 2:35PM

In an explosive statement, Treasurer Peter Costello says John Howard did offer to hand over the Liberal leadership to him after serving one and a half terms as prime minister.

Mr Costello said he had not sought any undertaking on the Liberal leadership, but Mr Howard had made the offer at a meeting with him and former Liberal minister Ian McLachlan in December 1994.

He said Mr McLachlan's account of the meeting was entirely accurate.

He said he would not have said anything about the meeting had Mr McLachlan and Mr Howard not gone on the public record about it.

Mr Costello said that during the meeting in 1994, Mr Howard asked him not to stand for the Liberal Party leadership.

''... He did not want a vote in the party room,'' Mr Costello told reporters in Melbourne.

[continued - see link]
No contradiction in Costello claim: PM

No contradiction in Costello claim: PM
July 10, 2006

PRIME Minister John Howard has denied that Treasurer Peter Costello has contradicted him over any deal to hand over the leadership.

Mr Costello today said Mr Howard had offered to hand over the leadership to him mid-way through a second term of office in return for him not running for the Liberal leadership in 1994.

Mr Howard, who has denied any deal, did not dispute Mr Costello's claim – but said there was no deal.

"Nothing said by Mr Costello today has in any way altered the position that no deal was made about a leadership transition," Mr Howard said through a spokesman.

"This is the position that Mr Costello and I have always maintained."
Interesting.

Edit: From what I have read, Mr Howard's words (as recounted by Mr Costello) were deliberately ambiguous and as such he's not exactly lying when he says that there was no 'deal'. Also, I really must wonder why this 'deal' has come to light now, especially given the upcoming election and Mr Howard's place in popular opinion, because despite what some may think, most people approve of Mr Howard as a leader, even though they may not agree the Liberal party's policies. Can the same be said about Mr Costello? (or any other Liberal politician, for that matter?)

Edit 2: Just to clarify the above, from what I read Mr Howard said that he intended to serve two terms and that he would then hand over the leadership, not that he would serve two terms and then hand over the leadership. To most there's probably next to no difference between the two, but to someone like Mr Howard the difference is quite clear.

Last edited:
HSC
This whole thing is giving me a head ache. Everyone is making such a big deal over it; Labor is trying to stir the pot (once again when it doesn't need stirring), everyone keeps asking them when it isn't that important. Get over it. Either they switch before the election, which will cause them to have an election backlash or they switch after.. what's so hard to understand? It's anoying how people are dancing around saying "ooh they aren't telling! they aren't telling!"

banco55

HSC
It's interesting how freely howard lies. I'm sure his claim now will be "well I made the offer but there was never a formal deal as he never formally accepted it."

transcendent

HSC
N/A
John Howard is a real life troll. He's probably going 'lol pwned' behind everyone's back. This situation has all the makings of a soap opera. Howard will be remembered for he's incredible ability to deceive people. He truly is Darth Sidious.

HSC
Those things that were said, were said years ago. What were you doing in 1994? Do you think the same way now as you did then?

banco55

HSC
Captain Obvious said:
Those things that were said, were said years ago. What were you doing in 1994? Do you think the same way now as you did then?
Howard's not an idiot. It's not like it's some small detail. Clearly mclachlan and costello remember it. Whether he thinks the same way now as he did than is irrelevant. The fact is he emphatically denied there was a deal made in the past.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Deal or no deal, how is this isssue relevant now? There was nothing sworn over. Its not as though Howard was entering into a contract with Costello here.

It seems to me that this is purely a beat up by the media and the opposition. I dont see how even if there was such a deal done between Costello and Howard, why has it suddenly become so important?

Lets say for instance, Howard had said what he is reported to have said. What does it matter now? This 'deal' was done before he was elected as Prime Minister, was it not?

Im confused as to the relevance of this whole issue.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Wo ho. Federal politics might warm up!

It's show down time!

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The media has inflated this issue to not only create instability within the Liberal Party, but also to place pressure upon John Howard to resign and further the ALP's cause; the anti-Howard elements have seized upon the opportunity. However, most apolitical individuals in the electorate would see it more as a blight upon Costello, as oppose to Howard. Unlike John Howard, Costello has not been tried and tested, and this just reaffirms the perception of his arrogance and political power-broking..

Costello needs to realise that although he has been a competent treasure, this does not automatically translate into leadership and respect. I often liken the man to Paul Keating in both personality and ability. Competent but too arrogant and self-minded to gain respect from the electorate as a successful and capable leader. Should he run for the election, the Liberal Party will either lose or one last term would be a certainty.. in a similar vain to Keatings departure as PM.

He either needs to challenge Howard for the leadership or step down from the cabinet; Whether he has support within the party is an unknown. It would be too damaging for the Liberal Party to weather the storm and attempt to fob it off...the ALP is testament to this.

If there is one thing that provides the Australian electorate with confidence, it's leadership stability.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
In any case I'm sure Costello knows what John said 12 years ago was a non core promise. I mean John Howard practically invented the term when it comes to promises made.

gerhard

HSC
frog12986 said:
The media has inflated this issue to not only create instability within the Liberal Party, but also to place pressure upon John Howard to resign and further the ALP's cause; the anti-Howard elements have seized upon the opportunity. However, most apolitical individuals in the electorate would see it more as a blight upon Costello, as oppose to Howard. Unlike John Howard, Costello has not been tried and tested, and this just reaffirms the perception of his arrogance and political power-broking..
what are you even talking about?

How is Costello arrogant here? Both were talking about going for the leadership, Costello steps down, Howard says after two terms Ill hand the reigns to you, two terms come up and he doesnt do it, Costello says nothing and ignores it. Costello appears as a gentlleman throughout this entire episode.

Media beats it up because thats what the media does, beats things up. Its got nothing to do with left wing/right wing. I mean the Tele is right wing, and this has been their front page story for two days in a row.

HSC
It's all just an elaborate election ploy.

Think about it, Labor has made it public knowledge that they are focusing their election campaign on Costello running.

Two things have just happened that support Howard stepping down:

1) The 'renovations' on his property and
2) This whole 'leadership deal' where, as NTB mentioned, Costello even admitted the deal.

Coincidence? I think not.

By solidifying the idea that Costello will be the Liberal Party Leader for the next election it means that Labor will focus all their efforts on preparing a campaign based around Costello. Come election time the Libs are going to say 'Psyche!" Gotcha! Looks like the old bastards hanging around after all."

Then after Howard wins the election he'll announce his retirement and hand over to Costello.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The Brucemaster said:
Then after Howard wins the election he'll announce his retirement and hand over to Costello.
Realistically, he cant retire straight after the election. If he did stay he would likely wait at least a year after the election. Therefore if he does not step down this year, he would have to remain leader for the next 2-3 years which means he would still be pm at 70 years old.

Also to add to your "Howard stepping down" list, his electorate of Bennelong has shifted further west in the latest NSW redistribution. His seat will become a very marginal seat, and would fall before the government does.

On costello's comments today, i was somewhat suprised that he confirmed the speculation. I would understand this if he were about to challenge, however i just dont see him doing that.

Last edited:

Chrispy

vote for dtp = <3
HSC
Why are the media seemingly working together with the opposition's interests?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)