Howard and Obama War (1 Viewer)

Who's winning?

• Total voters

impervious182

HSC
Round One: The War in Iraq

John Howard becomes one of the first political leaders in 2007 to criticise Barack Obama's Iraq policy, in which Obama called for a total withdrawal of American forces in Iraq by March 2008.
John Howard about Obama (on National 9 News)

"I think he's wrong. I think that will just encourage those who want to completely destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory,

"If I were running al-Qa'ida in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Obama but also for the Democrats"
Barack Obama about John Howard

"I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced,

"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq, and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1400, so if he is … to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq.

"Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric."
Analysis:

In hindsight there can be no doubt, that Obama's Iraq policy was politically motivated, but empty and plain wrong. Had coalition forces withdrawn the marked decrease in ethno-sectarian violence, security and Iraqi security-perceptions as well as the overall stability in Iraq, would not have improved. Nor would Iraq still be a democracy and the people there would, no doubt, have grown quickly anti-West and perhaps, again, oppressed.

Obama, now that he has been thrown into a position of responsibility has signalled that his Iraq policy will change. In fact, he now admits that a gradual withdrawal will be needed to maintain stability and transferring of power to the Iraqi government; so that sovereignity, territorial integrity, independance and regional stability may all be maintained.

Chiefly, there is a correlation between George Bush's 'Surge' strategy and this improvement. It's one of the few positive and defining moments of the Bush presidency, but undoubtedly one of his better decisions.

Again though, this move was vehemently opposed by Obama, whose rhetoric and pure political opportunism meant that he did not take into consideration the facts and is going to make his job as President much harder, as he attempts to live up to promises he now realises that it would be impossible and irrational to keep. Howard though, supported the move; a medal for what did you say? Oh 'freedom', well in regards to Iraq, certainly Howard has in the past years, pro

Now, Obama was growing on me Obama was a prat about Australia's troop involvement and revealed a very arrogant nature when he dismissed Australia's contribution to Iraq. George Bush has always played this up and shown his appreciation for the 'Aussie contribution' as he calls it. How can a sensible leader, so clearly and rashly criticise and insult, not only a political leader, but a close ally? All Obama did with thse comments make enemies.

WINNER: Howard

Round Two: The Battle for Blair House

And just this week; Mr and Mrs Howard essentially seized Barack Obama's place at Blair House where Obama was scheduled to be staying.
John Howard bumps Barack Obama from Washington bed

"JOHN Howard has defended his role in kicking president-elect Barack Obama out of a bed at Washington's Blair House in the lead-up to the inauguration, dismissing US media reports he will be staying there with an entourage.

Blair House, a 119-room mansion, is the official state guest house of the US president and traditionally where incoming American presidents stay before their inauguration.

But instead, Australia's former prime minister will be enjoying the hospitality of George W. Bush as he prepares to receive the US Medal of Freedom from the outgoing President on January 19.

The issue has sparked media reports in The Washington Post and The New York Times.

``Australians may find some irony in the news that their former prime minister bumped Mr Obama from the coveted Blair House locale," the Times speculated." - Samantha Maiden
WINNER: Howard

SCORE:

2 - 0 Howard

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
fuck yeah howard raped that dirty muslam terrorist motherfucker 2-0 fuck yeah

dp624

HSC
lol, whats the point of the poll when you've said 2-0 already

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Round 3: level of awesomeness

Winner: Obama

Round 4: job

Obama = president-elect
Howard = retired

Round 5: popularity

Current score: Obama = 3 > Howard = 2

boris

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Round 3: level of awesomeness

Round 4: job

Obama = president-elect
Howard = retired

Round 5: popularity

Current score: Obama = 3 > Howard = 2
to be fair howard has his job as prime minister for a lot longer than obama, so i say he wins that one. we dont know how obama will go overall yet, so he loses that until he outperforms howard (probably not hard)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
thats a pretty silly analysis since obama's policy on iraq has been completely and utterly vindicated by the bush administration. they've pretty much followed him since the surge.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Being democratically elected one of the most powerful leaders on the world stage - priceless.

Lentern

HSC
boris said:
to be fair howard has his job as prime minister for a lot longer than obama, so i say he wins that one. we dont know how obama will go overall yet, so he loses that until he outperforms howard (probably not hard)
John Howard also lost two federal elections, Obama has won his one and only federal election. Howard lost the popular votes three times, Obamam won it in his one and only federal election, Howard lost his seat, Obama never lost his. Howard lost the leadership ballot to Downer and Peacock, Obama won his only bid for it.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Lentern said:
John Howard also lost two federal elections, Obama has won his one and only federal election. Howard lost the popular votes three times, Obamam won it in his one and only federal election, Howard lost his seat, Obama never lost his. Howard lost the leadership ballot to Downer and Peacock, Obama won his only bid for it.
And Obama did all that before the end of his first term as junior senator.

abc123doremi

HSC
hehe i don't know much bout politics
but obama is mad (as in cool)
he's half black, half white, perfect
and anyone who doesn't love him is just weird/jealous/mad (as in uncool)

and btw, some people really need to loosen up here, very passionate about politics

georgefren

HSC
Hahaha I agree completely with Obamas comments on the Iraq war. And Obama wins on every level. Better domestic policy, better foreign policy, more racially tolerant, smarter (did well at harvard rather than failing maths), in charge of a country that people give a shit about. And he hasnt even entered office yet.

dat202hoe

HSC
Obama is a fucking dipshit. Support your own leaders. John Howard has done more for you guys than Obama will ever do.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
sure am glad we ousted him for Rudd.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
John Oliver said:
I still love JWH though and wish he was still PM of Australia. Fuck Australia made the wrong decision.
I disagree in that The Libs were getting complacent, hopefully they will bounce back stronger with new progressive policies and actually do something for the countries economy in terms of infrastructure and investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)