• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HS > Uni > Work (2 Viewers)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Been reading aroundand I got a few questions.

1. Does everyone at uni just give upfter achieving a tremendously high UAI? As in do the study rituals and such just go down the drain after the first semester at uni, as in everyone just lazes around, not attending lectures and such (probally not worth attending most anyway.)
  2. Is it basically the same amount of study as highschool regarding hours > marks?
  3. Is it actually worth getting like D/HD averages, or is it something that a company will just be like "NO YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCES!11"?
Thanks

shannonm

HSC
N/A
1. some do, some don't
2. more study hours generally means more marks. does that surprise you?
3. depends on degree, job, company, work culture, expectations, connections etc.
marks can help get the interviews but experience/(more importantly) persona get you the job
some people get jobs with high marks no experience
others get jobs with low marks and high experience

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Studentleader said:
  1. Does everyone at uni just give upfter achieving a tremendously high UAI? As in do the study rituals and such just go down the drain after the first semester at uni, as in everyone just lazes around, not attending lectures and such (probally not worth attending most anyway.)
  2. Is it basically the same amount of study as highschool regarding hours > marks?
  3. Is it actually worth getting like D/HD averages, or is it something that a company will just be like "NO YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCES!11"?
Thanks
1. No, not everyone. Uni is different to HS in so many ways. You need to adjust your approach, as your lifestyle will change through your uni years.

2. Following from above, no its not the same. In some aspects its easier, in some, its more difficult. It depends a lot on the course you're doing. If you dont know how to manage your time and adjust quickly to things that may come up, you may well find yourself falling behind.

3. Yes, it is. But thats not always going to score you the top jobs. You've heard the term "well-rounded". Thats what its about. Employers want people that can adapt to change quickly, and handle various tasks without falling in a heap. They value experience so highly because it illustrates to them (if experience is relevant) that you can balance things successfully.

It really all depends on the culture in the company that you want to work for.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
everything always gets harder.

Pre School > Primary School > Junior High > HSC > Uni > Work.

It's not untill you're back at retirement that you come full circle.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You're best off if you can manage work (in your area of study is best), extra-curiculars and decent marks. Employers can be a bit more forgiving on marks if they see that you can balance your life well and have loads of experience.

I try to keep my marks above a credit, even better if they are D's/HD's as well as doing things like mentoring and mooting and work related to my field of study, takes a lot to balance it though and often marks can suffer as a result.

danielvh

HSC
Studentleader said:

Thanks
1. It's different for everyone. Personally, I hardly tried at all at high school and got 98. I could have done a lot better. But at uni I'm putting in quite a lot of effort because I'm really interested in what I'm studying. I'm getting an HD average because of it. But again, in units where I try harder I get better marks. I usually get between 80-84 with the standard amount of effort and have got a few 90s with a lot of effort.

I also know a lot of people who put in a lot of effort at HS but now put in almost no effort at uni. I have no idea why, I mean, HS marks don't really matter as long as they get you into the course you want, while uni marks will impact on how easy it will be for you to get a job. (obviously experience/personality play a big part here, but marks is an important component too).

2. Regarding the amount of study required to get marks. I'd say that uni requires a LOT more work.

3. Yes, I'd say it's worth getting high marks. A pass is pretty crappy really and will be hard to get a job with. A credit is alright and is enough to be well rounded if you have decent extracurriculars and experience. A distinction and up is required if you're going into a competitive field and also makes it generally easier. Obviously again, experience and so on is just as, if not more important.

Roguedeth

HSC
1. Some people do, I did in my first 2 years at uni but 3rd year i've decided i want to do further study so i have to start working hard to get those marks.

2. Uni easier than HS that you don't have to rock up for lectures, everything is on the internet anyways and lectures are recorded but requires you to do a lot of reading by yourself.

In HS teachers would ride you till you handed in a report and in uni it's like don't hand it in i don't give a fuck - 0.

3. I think HD/D just look better on your academic transcript.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Roguedeth said:
Uni easier than HS that you don't have to rock up for lectures, everything is on the internet anyways and lectures are recorded but requires you to do a lot of reading by yourself.

In HS teachers would ride you till you handed in a report and in uni it's like don't hand it in i don't give a fuck - 0.
So its all self motivated which is why alot of people, especially from private schools fail because they were forced in highschool and run out of energy during uni so they mope around?

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Studentleader said:
So its all self motivated which is why alot of people, especially from private schools fail because they were forced in highschool and run out of energy during uni so they mope around?
Yep. All self motivated.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
Because they are spoonfed in High School in order to do well in the HSC. Thinking for yourself and being self-motivated (that you need to do & be in uni) isn't in their bag of tricks.

Because they suddenly learn what the uni bar is for and realise that all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.

Because the social class structure at uni isn't as strong as it is at school (i.e nerds over here, athletes over there, rich snobs over there etc). People lose their identity and place in the world when moving to uni.... takes sometime for them to realise that their identity isn't defined by what group you belong to.

Because they have gone to a privileged high school where most come from 'well to do' families. Suddenly they are thrown in with a vast array of people, albeit bright ones, from all different walks of life (including mature aged students!). It's daunting, it's confusing, you can lose yourself and just be a number.... or it could very well open up your eyes, introduce you to a whole new world, and be the best few years of your life.

ippie

HSC
blerkles said:
Because they are spoonfed in High School in order to do well in the HSC. Thinking for yourself and being self-motivated (that you need to do & be in uni) isn't in their bag of tricks.

Because they suddenly learn what the uni bar is for and realise that all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.

Because the social class structure at uni isn't as strong as it is at school (i.e nerds over here, athletes over there, rich snobs over there etc). People lose their identity and place in the world when moving to uni.... takes sometime for them to realise that their identity isn't defined by what group you belong to.

Because they have gone to a privileged high school where most come from 'well to do' families. Suddenly they are thrown in with a vast array of people, albeit bright ones, from all different walks of life (including mature aged students!). It's daunting, it's confusing, you can lose yourself and just be a number.... or it could very well open up your eyes, introduce you to a whole new world, and be the best few years of your life.

My HS wasnt socially structured. But then I went to a selective school. We were all even. But even that is enough to open my eyes about uni. Everyone at school were like similar, you know? (NO we werent all nerds!) And then suddenly, here I am in uni and everyones different and you see people but you have no freaking idea whether they're 1st year or 4th year or whatever. It's a much bigger world lol!

so far uni hasnt been a self motivation thing. It's more like following a 13 yr old set routine - *shrug* I go to uni, no big deal it was just like going to school. I go learn coz it's what I've been doing for the past 13 yrs.

duckydavid

HSC
ippie said:
My HS wasnt socially structured. But then I went to a selective school. We were all even. But even that is enough to open my eyes about uni. Everyone at school were like similar, you know? (NO we werent all nerds!) And then suddenly, here I am in uni and everyones different and you see people but you have no freaking idea whether they're 1st year or 4th year or whatever. It's a much bigger world lol!

so far uni hasnt been a self motivation thing. It's more like following a 13 yr old set routine - *shrug* I go to uni, no big deal it was just like going to school. I go learn coz it's what I've been doing for the past 13 yrs.

Yeah people are diverse in terms of race, socioeconomic background, etc. But to me it seems like high school all over again. designer clothing, facebook photos, binge drinking... its still about popularity and feeling 'accepted'. There isn't as much individuality as I thought there would be.

Evilo

HSC
The others have been answered pretty well - ill just touch on this

Studentleader said:
[*]Is it actually worth getting like D/HD averages, or is it something that a company will just be like "NO YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCES!11"?[/LIST]Thanks
The benefit of having D averages is that you are more likely to get into honours (if you want that).

Also if there are two people applying for the same position at an employer, the person with the HDs is more likely to be chosen over the person just getting Ps.

Evilo

HSC
Studentleader said:
Private schools fall behind because they've been spoon fed during the hsc (to a degree) and when it comes to ebing proactive and studying/working things out by yourself - they just havent had the experience.
I havent had a big problem with that though

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
duckydavid said:
Yeah people are diverse in terms of race, socioeconomic background, etc. But to me it seems like high school all over again. designer clothing, facebook photos, binge drinking... its still about popularity and feeling 'accepted'. There isn't as much individuality as I thought there would be.
Huh what?

The beauty of uni is that you DONT need to associate with idiots like that.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
AsyLum said:
Huh what?

The beauty of uni is that you DONT need to associate with idiots like that.
It must be dependent on the course, uni or specific year group coz that's what I see around me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)