• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 10 mark question tips (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hey,

Ive got an assesment coming up, and it mimics the HSC questions on the personality where there is a 10 mark 'describe' question and a 15 mark 'assess' question.

Im fine with the 'assess' questions, but I always struggle with the describe question because I am unsure of which bits of information are relevant and which are superficial.

Does anyone have any advice on how to answer the describe questions?

On a side note, does anyone else find the 'describe' questions more difficult than the 'assess' questions? I know they are supposed to be easier, but i find the asses questions easier because they are more like an argument, and seem to have a purpose, whereas the describe questions seem kind of general and broad there is no clear guideline. Thats my opinion anyway.

bored6

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Hey,

Ive got an assesment coming up, and it mimics the HSC questions on the personality where there is a 10 mark 'describe' question and a 15 mark 'assess' question.

Im fine with the 'assess' questions, but I always struggle with the describe question because I am unsure of which bits of information are relevant and which are superficial.

Does anyone have any advice on how to answer the describe questions?

On a side note, does anyone else find the 'describe' questions more difficult than the 'assess' questions? I know they are supposed to be easier, but i find the asses questions easier because they are more like an argument, and seem to have a purpose, whereas the describe questions seem kind of general and broad there is no clear guideline. Thats my opinion anyway.
I've always thought describe is essentially just regurgitating the information (all of it) without critically analyzing it or judging it on its merits - i've always just written a recount in describe questions.

williamc

HSC
No the describe question is easier. If you wanted to you could even write a prepared essay because the question usually has to do with outline significant events or describe (in an exam).

The describe question should have a breif intro and run through the major points or recount the person's life without the need of histeography and critically anaylsing it in about 1.5-2 pages( a4, hand wirtten)

Edit: re-read and realised you were given it as an assessment.

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
williamc said:
No the describe question is easier. If you wanted to you could even write a prepared essay because the question usually has to do with outline significant events or describe (in an exam).

The describe question should have a breif intro and run through the major points or recount the person's life without the need of histeography and critically anaylsing it in about 1.5-2 pages( a4, hand wirtten)

Edit: re-read and realised you were given it as an assessment.
Yeah its an assesment but its an in class one under exam conditions.
Thanks for the tips so far.
The main problem for me is assessing the relevance of the bits of information. I know heaps of biographical detail on my personality (Trotsky), but im sure half of it is irrelevant and if i was to write it all I would be writing forever, but when i pick out what i think is relevant its always too short!
Argh! I think I just think to much!

tigerian

HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Yeah its an assesment but its an in class one under exam conditions.
Thanks for the tips so far.
The main problem for me is assessing the relevance of the bits of information. I know heaps of biographical detail on my personality (Trotsky), but im sure half of it is irrelevant and if i was to write it all I would be writing forever, but when i pick out what i think is relevant its always too short!
Argh! I think I just think to much!
see your private email can i help you. i have taught Trotsky and can certainly assist if you want

tole

HSC
If you find the assess questions easy, then the describe quesitons should be exceptionally easy for you. 'Describe' is just the simple regurgitation of informaiton on a very basis level, whereas assess is substantially more difficult.

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally find the "describe " questions much easier than the "assess" question . In "describe" questions, all you need to do is to write out the information you have memorised in your head. It's sort of hard to present an arugment , especially in English.

T

Testpilot

Just make sure you only write about what is relevant to the question. E.g. don't recount everything you know about the topic because it wastes time, you won't answer the question properly and it makes it look like you aren't able to determine what is relevant to the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)