HSC Economics question (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
commerce/law at usyd.

I absolutely adored all 60 minutes of it that I've had so far! :D :p ;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by timmii
Minai, would you try and transfer into commerce/arts, or are you more than happy with eco/arts?
lol i've actually dropped arts, im jus doin Economics - but I prolly wont try to transfer to Commerce, because I'm majoring in economics anyway, so its essentially the same - at UNSW - economics and commerce are the same degree, except, for economics, u have to have 1 major in economics,econometrics or economic history, and u can do another major in anything else. However I would like to do a Master of Commerce in International Business after I graduate, jus to expand my career options

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Raven
Because so far, the best work opportunities are for people who do Acturial Studies.They straight away get like 50 000+ and then after couple of year 100 000+.
*insert laughter*
*insert more laughter*
*insert even more laughter*

:p :D :p :D :p :D

Job prospects vary from person to person, even if they have the same degree. So I wouldnt worry too much about what degree you come out with (although there are a few one should avoid). I mean many people do better in the world with a Arts degree than people with Commerce degrees. :)

Last edited:

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
Thanks timmii and funny flyin'. Anyways is there anything else i

can include in the essay,because there is no word limit so i

can go on and on and on and on....

Thanks in advance

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by AGB
i dont think so....fiscal policy isnt used to influence exchange rates, therefore it is not direct intervention

direct is when the activity is specifically intended to have an effect on the exchange rate (in this case). whereas changes in the exchange rate as a result of fiscal policy is almost a 'side effect'
really..
i used to fink direct/indirect was in terms of impact on economic growth

Originally posted by MinAi

actuaries earn $hitloads, cos they work their asses off
sure they do....sure...
juz keep telling urself that

:p

timmii

sporadic attendee
1 - how is the dollar "price" determined. (ie demand/supply)
2 - factors of demand/supply...examples which may explain recent movements

e.g loss of faith in US economy ---> selling of USD, buying AUD

3. impact:

- CAD: valuation effect of reducting net foreign debt repayments
-cheaper imports ---> worsen balance of trade, may reduce imported inflation, increased domestic competition ----> potential sturctural unemployment in inefficient domestic industries, but lower consumer prices ---> may buy spending. Also, if costs of intermediate and capital goods also fall, then australian exports that use imported machinery may then become more competitive
-Worsening balance of trade may lead to a subsequent depreciation, or lead RBA to raise i.r's so as to slow down import expenditure.
-Become less internationally competitive...lower income and growth prospects, potential decline in standards of living (despite perhaps more variety of better goods from o/s)

4. policy options

- direct intervention by RBA (already discussed) either to steady AUD or lower it back to where it was so as to assist exports
- changing interest rates (raising them would reduce import expenditure and would raise the value of the AUD further, lowering them would increase import expenditure and fuel growth further, but may also lead to capital outflow and a subsequent depreciation)
- fiscal measures: budget outcomes that affect govt debt or may crowd out financial sector may influence speculative action of investors.
-microeconomic policies to improve the international competitiveness of domestic producers to combat the rise in the AUD would allow Australia to continue to grow while also facilitating greater quality and quantity of goods available ---> standard of living improvements

Saintly Devil

Originally posted by AGB

Jawboning (when an authority e.g. MacFarlane, Eadey Costello etc. says the exchange rate is undervalued/overvalued)
Hmm...interesting, haven't seen in it any textbook.

Can you give an example of when this actually occurred? i.e. When some authority made a comment on the fact that the exchange rate was undervalued/overvalued and there was a noticable difference in the exchange rate because of this comment?

Thanks

AGB

HSC
it isnt something that happens overnight

all through out 2001 macfarlane was saying that the $A was undervalued, particularly towards the end of the year. in the beginning of 2002 the $A started to gain pace - sure this may have been due to other factors, but i think it is safe to assume in essays that part of this may have been due to jawboning....

Hiya_la

hsc multiple qu

hey could someone do last yrs hsc multiple choice qus and put up hte answers...
because ive been doin them... but have no idea what hte answers are...

Saintly Devil

they're on the board of studies website. Take a look at the examiner's report and they have the answers for the multiple choice qs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)