• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC Preparation Tips (The Original Post) (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
HSC Preparation Tips

Hi everyone,

Here are some tips I have for preparation and study for Modern History. Feel free to add your own to this list by replying!

-For your national study and study in peace and conflict, historiography is important. You will notice that the top band answers always make some reference to historians opinions etc. A helpful thing to do is to go through the Key Features, Groups, and Key Concepts for each topic and try to find some quotes and opinions from historians that could cover each of these. It's especially helpful to find quotes which could be incorporated in to essays on a few of the key features.

-Summarize your notes under headings of the Key Features, Groups and Concepts. That way you can be sure that you have everything covered. Remember that it is possible that they could just take a Key Feature and perhaps a concept and combine them to make a question. Eg. Assess the impact of anti-communism on American foreign policy during the period 1956-1975

-It's really important to write practise essays. That way you are more prepared for the different questions that could be asked in the exam. Would you be happy if they asked the same question in the HSC that you were asked for a previous assessment? Most people would be, because they would feel more prepared. Practise essays are an important part of exam preparation.

-An easy way to memorize dates.... here goes. Instead of just writing out lists of dates, write them on little cards and make modern history flashcards. Write the event on one side of the card, and the date on the other. That way you can quiz yourself on the dates, meaning you are actively engaging with the information, rather than simply reading it off a sheet. This technique works great for maths formulas too :).

-Practise doing essays under "exam conditions". Give yourself mini exams.... for example, choose a small part of the syllabus, ie The rise of Nazism, study it for a few hours (however long you need) and then do an essay without your notes, just like as if it was an exam.

If you have any other tips, your contributions would be greatly appreciated by everyone here I'm sure!!!

Edit: Came off sounding wrong, sorry!

Last edited:

Alexander

Gold Member
You know 'brain drained ash', you've always really pissed me off, for example:
I've just been appointed moderator of the Modern History board. I love Modern History, it's one of my favourite subjects, and I hope I can help people on this board
Pulllease!. You sound very much like a disgustingly popular and smart chick, who is more than happy to blow their own trumpet, Grrrrrrrrr!!!. Dont be so condesending, it's not cool.

Having had my vilifying rant, thanks for the notes!. I feel that my taking them is justified by me making your mark lower by learning them! (UAI) Remember, you ARE in competition with every other little historian in the state --- and you can call me every name under the sun, but by assisting another student, you're doing yourself a disservice.

.................No doubt you probably already know this.......so.............I admire you......you fool!

s2ophie

HSC
i would respond but i'll leave it up to you ash

malayz_angel

Lol...I'm not as nice as s2ophie...just curious Alexander, what was she meant to say?

"Hi I'm Braindrained Ash, I'm the new moderator here..I hate Modern History and I couldn't give a *@#% about all u %^*#@$ out there so %^&* you and go to the library!"

And please dont say yes cos thats just wrong. She's only tryin to be nice!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I agree it was a bit trite. A moderator in this forum is not really needed, a moderator is meant to keep the threads in order, not be the ultimate authority in the subject (it all comes down to the exam and Im fiecerly competitive as Im sure many others are--see ya there). We all help each other out and we don't need a patronizing thread like this.
Im sure you meant well, but it comes across the wrong way.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
I agree it was a bit trite. A moderator in this forum is not really needed, a moderator is meant to keep the threads in order, not be the ultimate authority in the subject (it all comes down to the exam and Im fiecerly competitive as Im sure many others are--see ya there). We all help each other out and we don't need a patronizing thread like this.
Im sure you meant well, but it comes across the wrong way.

agreed, it came off as really condescending. i felt like going "fuck off, i dont need your advice" but i know you're a nice girl ash. but yeah. it DID sound REALLY patronising

emily

wow, you lot are harsh!

thanx ash, tips are handy, we all knew you meant well, and hey my fave subject is modern history too, so yeah :)

as for you 'alexander' fuck off, obviously some people feel confident enough in their abilities to be kind enough to offer help to other people whilst still maintaining they're own standard, by 'assisting another student' we're all helping eachother - maybe she's crap at english and someone can help her there! ur right, we all know what we're doing by even talking on this board, obviously you just felt we needed reminding, whatever. go on then, go through to all the helpful people on this entire site and try and make them feel like shit too - you're only making yourself look like a dumb fuck.

to resort to my mum's fave - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Emily by insulting Alexander in that post weren't you doing the same thing you were purporting to be against? Obviously many ppl agree that the post Ash made really wasn't appropriate. We are all obviously going for the highest marks and it gets a little insulting when someone comes in here presenting themselves as the ultimate authority on the subject when we know we are just as good and maybe even better.
I do know you meant well Ash, but like I said, its kind of insulting.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm really sorry, I was just trying to be helpful.... I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything... I'm sure heaps of you guys are better at history than me anyway... I was just sharing some of the tips that I found helpful in preparing for the trials and stuff. We all help each other out on this board, and I was just trying to contribute something helpful...

s2ophie

HSC
Obviously many ppl agree that the post Ash made really wasn't appropriate.
I don't agree. Ash was merely offering some advice. I know her personally and she would never have intended to be condescending like you have made her out to be. Refer to some other forums (eg biology) and you will see other moderators have done the same thing.

All ash did was offered tips on what she sees as useful ways to study for this course.

Alexander your post just disgusted me. If you want to go on about ash doing a disservice to herself because she offered help, get off a HSC 'help' site and stop being hung up about being against other people in the state. Never criticise other people for being benevolent.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oi. I suck at modern history because I don't to any work I was hoping that maybe by coming to the Modern board I'd get an idea for how to start writing notes however. Now I'm no retard, I listen in class and everything, and I must say that everything Ash said has at some time or another been advocated by all my history teachers. I didn't find this thread condescending at all, but rather like she'd quoted the HTA guide! Those of you who took offence have quite simply forgotten the purpose of this board - to help each other. If you think you can just come here, mock the admins and leech notes then I will very gladly suggest that you get fucked. Or banned.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Perhaps if she hadn't made reference to her status as a moderator in the first line of the post we wouldn't be in this mess.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Perhaps if she hadn't made reference to her status as a moderator in the first line of the post we wouldn't be in this mess.
Look, I came in on the same boat as Ash, and I can tell you quite authoritively that she's just trying to settle into her new role. Don't be so harsh on her for that. At least she's trying to make this place USEFUL.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I wasn't being harsh, and I was trying to make that quite clear. I DO know Ash meant nothing more than to be helpful, but I just think she went about it the wrong way and insulted a few ppl.

Case closed.

Alexander

Gold Member
Look, maybe I did come off a bit.... gruff, but as many have already admitted, it was condesending.
I had a bad day, and sorry Ash, but your...confidence.... put me out a bit. I think it would be wise for me to recant the majority of my lash out, although it still was a post liable to get up someone's goat.
Comments of being a 'leech' were particullarly hurtful and I can assure you im anything but. This is a great site, and ash is probably a very able student. As i originally stated, she is also very admirable for going to such lengths to assist others and also not get personal herself. But i think to the vast majority, the post of us 'being granted gifts from above' seemed to proport someone's silver cutlery.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't understand how it came off as that, it truly was not my intention, and I just hope that all of this bitterness will be put to rest. I guess that is one of the troubles with the internet, it's hard to communicate tone and register at times, which can lead to misinterpretation.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I said shut your ugly face Flanders!!

EDIT: 'Super mod' needs to get a life--look at the context before you delete things Minai, stop trying to be a hero.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)