• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Humour in Reflection Satement? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I have written the first paragraph in a humorous and not very serious manner. I intend to continue and explain my process seriously, with bits of humour spread throughout the whole thing.

I know that you all want to know the reasons for my involvement with English Extension 2. Well, initially they involved me doing as little units as possible, while minimising my workload. Unfortunately, this was not the case as I found myself struggling to produce a video, which later became a short story. Let me start with the video. The channel of my creative and ... artistic? desire. Well, actually I wanted to do the video because I thought it'd only take 2 days to complete. But then there was the process of getting the equipment, the actors and the fact that the only term I knew in filmaking besides "Ben Afleck can't act" is "cut". And "Cut" I did. I cut the whole idea of making a video and decided to subvert a genre or rekindle a overused genre in fiction.

Do you think the markers won't like this?

nattylee

HSC
i dont see why the markers wont like humour, they are human after all, and i guess if it isnt cliched, then they will see you're english abilities in the same way as they would see a serious reflection statement.

ps. i like you're reflection statement and your idea, mine is boring. in fact, my critical response is boring. what is your story on?

googleplex

HSC
personally I tried adding a bit of human but my teach (who's very experienced said its fine but you'd really be wanting to minimise any word count wasteage)

if you've got something better to say, ie pertaining to the dot points, then rather say that and keep the personal/humouristic elements to a minimum.

just my advise but again, it's totally your own work.

gl

J

jhakka

Isn't the reflection statement supposed to be more serious?

stamos

sellout
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
I have written the first paragraph in a humorous and not very serious manner. I intend to continue and explain my process seriously, with bits of humour spread throughout the whole thing.

I know that you all want to know the reasons for my involvement with English Extension 2. Well, initially they involved me doing as little units as possible, while minimising my workload. Unfortunately, this was not the case as I found myself struggling to produce a video, which later became a short story. Let me start with the video. The channel of my creative and ... artistic? desire. Well, actually I wanted to do the video because I thought it'd only take 2 days to complete. But then there was the process of getting the equipment, the actors and the fact that the only term I knew in filmaking besides "Ben Afleck can't act" is "cut". And "Cut" I did. I cut the whole idea of making a video and decided to subvert a genre or rekindle a overused genre in fiction.

the one thing that pretty much all the band 1/2 responses have in common are their informal reflection statements

edit: not to say you'll get a band one/two response, but i think it'll cost you marks

an informal reflection statement is the equivalent of saying 'i give up'

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i think humour is great depending on how you use it. Like others have said, after all, the markers are only human.

Sophistication and flair are what they are looking for, so if you integrate humour in with that, you'll have lots of brownie points.

I'll give you an example from the top of my head. From the Young Writers Showcase 2002, the Barker guy that wrote the play script about the American President. in his reflection statement there was a section which really made me laugh in which he said something along the lines of:

Eager to begin writing, I started during the summer holidays. 30 minutes, 7000 words and 60 pages later I had what was a literary disaster. It was the George W. Bush draft.

version 1.1 after the holidays was much better. cleaned up, polished and without so much verbosity, it was the Bill Clinton draft.

after distributing version 1.1 to some friends and family i undertook another overhaul of this draft. Version 1.2 was the Bill Clinton -without flaws.

major editing followed, with detailed analysis and clean-up scene by scene. Finally, version 1.3 was complete. It was.... well lets just say that no American president has ever been that brutal with their administration.

So you get the drift. He was succint, intelligent, sophisticated but witty at the same time. BTW that isn't recounted word for word, i'm doing that purely from what I remember of it. That i remember it must be a good sign.

In conclusion -- show off your language skills in your reflection statement, keep it nice and tight, intelligent and sophisticated but and injection of wit and humour never hurt anyone.

good luck!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
OMG..i was just thinking of that one!

I LOVED THE PLAY SO MUCH! But the reflection statemtn [although it was funny in some parts] was a little cocky...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I wrote a relatively informal reflection statement for my ext2 work and I was very happy with it. For me the word 'reflection' emphasises that it is a personal comment on the process of learning and constructing *your* major work. If, then, humour is natural to your writing style then by all means go for it. A marker who has just read your near-on-ten-thousand-word new epilogue for Jane Eyre (in which Jane too becomes a madwoman, Rochester decides to commit suicide complete with ten page suicide note, and Jane’s cousins inherit the property only to die in a mysterious fire) will probably enjoy reading something a bit lighter hearted when it comes to your reflection statement.

Phew.

Having said that, though, let me tear you to shreds.

1Time4thePpl said:
I know that you all want to know the reasons for my involvement with English Extension 2. Well, initially they involved me doing as little units as possible, while minimising my workload.
Wait, I said ‘relatively’ informal, didn’t I? Don’t talk to them like they’re your mate from school, because they’re not. They are still markers and you have to treat them as (even if you don’t think they are!) superiors. Yes, its funny to think that most people doing the course are at first trying to get brownie points for an ‘easy’ subject, but try not to push the point too much (your subject is soooo easy it’s suuuuch a stupid idea EVERYBODY does it cause they think they’re gonna do well – a marker is going to read that and, well, first impressions count). Speaking of the word ‘well’ – keep that for the process diary. Better first sentence would go along the lines of:

English Extension 2: how my friends mocked me for deciding to pick up this subject. “It’s so much work!” they cried. “As if that’s an easy subject. You have to do a whole major work!” I, on the other hand, thought it seemed a rather simple concept… seven thousand words, why, I wrote five times that when I was a thirteen year old angst-ridden teenager pouring my eyes out over a diary of lost loves.”
(Ok, so I went over the top – c’mon, I’ve been testing a database for the last three days.)

1Time4thePpl said:
Unfortunately, this was not the case as I found myself struggling to produce a video, which later became a short story. Let me start with the video. The channel of my creative and ... artistic? desire.
Yeah, this sort of thing – try to include that in your first sentence (or at least hint at it!) – you probably want to be a little more detailed, and a bit more eloquent. You are, after all, writing something that should be coming from the mouth (fingers) of an *elite* English student (that’s where my hatred of the word ‘well,’ in reflection statements comes from). Ellipses are cool, but not in this context. Use colons, semicolons, parentheses if you’re feeling particularly Victorian (or postmodern), but avoid ellipses, hyphens, lists (‘well, like, see, there was this guy, right,…’) because they do not convey quality writing.

1Time4thePpl said:
Well, actually I wanted to do the video because I thought it'd only take 2 days to complete. But then there was the process of getting the equipment, the actors and the fact that the only term I knew in filmaking besides "Ben Afleck can't act" is "cut". And "Cut" I did. I cut the whole idea of making a video and decided to subvert a genre or rekindle a overused genre in fiction.
A few more points: write out numbers less than a hundred (this is my general rule, anyway). ‘2’ becomes ‘Two’; ‘63’ becomes sixty-three or three-and-sixty :). Spelling is very important (although I assume you just typed this out and didn’t run it through a spellcheck or a spelling Nazi like me), so ‘film making’, ‘Affleck’. Again you can probably afford to be a bit more verbose – explain your points, elaborate, show them that you can control your writing. The last sentence of this passage is probably the one I liked most in your entire paragraph.

1Time4thePpl said:
Yes and no. As I said, don’t treat markers like they’re eighteen, because (trust me on this one) they’re not. The reflection statement may be the last piece of writing they read from you before deciding on your mark (don’t trust me on this one). Humour is great: I never understand why people don’t use more of it in reflection statements, personal journals, speeches, letters. It creates repartee with the audience and it is a wonderful tool for you to flex your witty muscle (not to be confused with your ‘fatmuscle’). By all means go ahead and use it in your reflection statement, but keep your audience and purpose in mind.

(Sorry about the length of this)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hey thanks so much for that guys. This wasn't actually what I wrote, but I just typed that up in a few minutes, so don't worry my final reflection statement is far more eloquent and higher in quality.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
If I was a marker I'd like humour!

Anyway, my first draft of my reflection statement was 1990 words. I included my usual dry, wry, eye rolling humour. It's something I do without noticing. When I read it over I realised that I'd have to cut it all out so I could fit within the word limit.

But I mean everyone has their own style, and if humour comes natural to you as your writing, if ti's your style, include it. Just don't go out of your way to be funny, keep it to the point. You should be first and foremost focusing on evaluating your major work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)