Hybridisation (1 Viewer)

m3.4..012

hm...
do we have to know that?

i don't think it says anything about it in the syllabus... I hope my teacher wasn't raving on about the old syllabus again. :mad1:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I think it is in the syllabus, why not check yourself?

m3.4..012

hm...
yeah i looked, nothing....
and some of the study guides i borrowed from the library has little or no info on it.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Lol it IS in the sylabus.. mn.. go check.. its in excel im pretty sure.. or in the prac books.. theres tonnes of info on it: mule = horse + donkey for example. .

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think it's only in the students' requirements section, not the student learns bit.

queenie

HSC
Originally posted by Ziusudra
Isn't there a website of the complete list of the syllabus?
*chuckles the syllabus is everywhere dammit..

"process information from secondary sources to describe an example of hybridisation within a species and explain the purpose of this hybridisation".

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
its hybridisation within sepcies. i think you need to be careful which textbook you're reffering to for that dp.
r u sure on that kimmel??

how abt horse + donkey??

queenie

HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
r u sure on that kimmel??

how abt horse + donkey??
i think that works

another example is the Santa Gertrudis cattle, which is a cross between the Shorthorn Cow and the Brahman bull ;)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
there are heaps of plant examples as well. the wheat and corn industries use it for hybrid vigour, greater yields etc. wine indutry use it as well for new tastes and vigour etc

untamedanimal

Hybridisation can refer also in terms of evidence for evolution. DNA hybridisation is definitely in the course.

queenie

HSC
Originally posted by untamedanimal
DNA hybridisation is definitely in the course.
thanks for that.. i wasnt sure you know, quoting out of d syllabus and all ... ;)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
r u sure on that kimmel?? how abt horse + donkey??
yes i'm positive. i double checked.
umm horse and donkey ? theyre two different species. they'd produce offspring (mule) to be infertile.

i used corn :):

Corn
The production of hybrid varieties of corn is relatively simple as the flowers are unisexual. The ears (cobs) contain only female flowers and the tassels only male flowers. Therefore, to prevent unwanted chance pollination, it is necessary to place a bag over the ear before the stigmas emerge (silking). The bag is removed briefly when pollen from the chosen male is introduced. When a hardy strain is crossed with a strain that produces large fruit the hybrid corn that is produced is more vigorous and produces higher yields.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
[a bored Zarathustra with a basketball injury at home tries to mate his cat and dog by putting them in a sack and shaking it].
Good ... we'll have a miracle hybrid with the loyalty of a cat and the cleanliness of a dog!

Just use the hybridisation of dogs. In class we did a Cavoodle a hybrid of a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and a poodle though there are limiltless possibilities... I think it does have to be intra-species mating - no mules :p

- btw Isn't the genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees 1-2% and the genetic difference between a horse and a donkey >2% (I think:D ) does that mean there are chimp - human hybrids?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
pick one that has many advantages, and maybe some disadvantages, so u have lotsa stuff to discuss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)