I don't know what i'm doing when it comes to studying (1 Viewer)

BigJiggityJosh

HSC
I've never really studied throughout my schooling life, i just found it easiest to learn the content in class and it somehow always stuck. When i did my tests, i wasn't getting bad marks. Maths(Standard), music and DT were where my marks were pretty good - 80% and above and the rest were around 75% up until this year. But I now know that it isn't going to work anymore especially because of how COVID ruined everything.

I've tried taking down notes and then answering questions in an Excel book and it kinda worked but i lost motivation very quickly.

I just want to know how to study. I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now.

here's some info on my HSC subjects if anyone would like to know:

- IPT (Information Process and Technology)

- IDT (Information and Digital Technology)

- Standard Maths

- Advanced English

- Music 1 (my school doesn't offer Music 2)

- DT (Design and Technology)

My goal is to get an ATAR of 80, but that seems outta reach rn.
I need help/advice

Last edited:

MonKey1919

HSC
I find that making notes on your subjects, then active recalling them by answering questions, doing papers really tends to help. For standard maths just go through your textbook then do shit tons of past papers. Seems to work for me. Like Life'shard said, just trying to start is the first step.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
80 ATAR is doable, please don't feel stressed! @Life'sHard has the best advice for this, just start studying - even if you study for 10 minutes, its still progress. Just know you can only go up from here so even some small progress should be celebrated. Try to aim for studying for 20 minutes per day for the first week (Thats what I did), just study anything, perhaps do 5 maths std questions in that session. At this point it doesn't really matter what you're learning but more of getting into that routine. You won't succeed if you're trying to study long hours or study in bursts, try to study consistently and you'll find progress.

All the best

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
An 80 ATAR is definitely achievable. As everyone mentioned above, it's about actually getting started, i.e. completing the first step towards effective preparation for your subjects.

In terms of Information Processes and Technology, effective preparation primarily depends on your knowledge of the content.

You can begin by revisiting the syllabus document for IPT and remember the key concepts explored within the main topics as well as the option topics. Once this step is complete, you should thoroughly use your notes for revision. Your notes need to be of high quality in order to do so. If you feel your notes are not of sufficient quality, check out this set of IPT notes (if you haven't already):

Once you are confident in your ability to effectively manipulate the content, the next step is to complete past HSC exam papers. At the same time, you must ensure you are identifying areas of improvement (if applicable) and addressing those. The more you are able to do this, the more beneficial the process of completing multiple papers will be as you will eventually become more prepared for your IPT HSC exam, ultimately allowing you to perform well and hopefully obtain a favourable final mark.

I hope this helps! :D

dasfas

HSC
Your problem seems to be a lack of motivation rather than intelligence.

Write down why you want to do well. You're doing the HSC for yourself, not for your parents, not for your friends, YOU. But you need to have a reason that isn't just "because I have to". Once you have a reason, you have motivation, and then the snowball can start rolling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)