I don't understand this course (1 Viewer)

Demise

HSC
I'm looking at getting into Bachelor of Computer Science at UNSW, but also want to do a double degree in Bachelor of Mathematics. UNSW considers mathematics as a science which is good, but I don't understand.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3983.html

I don't necessarily want to do a bachelor of science majoring in Maths, since doesn't that mean I just do science in general for 3 years and then a year of maths? I want a degree focused around maths, pure, statistical and applied, but I may be mistaken.

Does this degree mean I do 4 years of CS, and 4 years of Bachelor of Science (Mathematics), or 4 years of CS, and 3 years of science + 1 year of Maths? Also, do I get accredited with a Bach of Comp Sci and Bach of Maths, or just one degree - since it does say Dual Degree but I just want to be sure.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
BCompSci/Sci is a 4 year degree.

Typically in completion of a degree you get 2 majors. So if you purely did a BSCI (3Yrs) you can major in say Biology and Physics both part of the science faculty.
But BCompSci/Sci allows you to do 1 SCI major (be it Maths) and 1 Computer Sci Major.

And there's no such thing as "science in general" you do courses for you major. ie for a Maths major you'll be doing purely courses from the Mathematics School. (no PHYS, CHEM, BIO or sub-disciplines)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
When you do a Science degree majoring in maths, you're not doing 'sciencey' courses like chem, bio, phys for 3 years. You actually do maths throughout.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually tell prospective uni students to ignore the name if the degree and instead look at how the majors offered are constructed.

Demise

HSC
Thanks everyone for the useful comments, I appreciate it and you've definitely clarified my understanding, cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)