• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

i need help on my assesment (1 Viewer)

st@ce

hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me with my assesment. the task is:
"it was by common effort that the persian invasion was repelled" to what extent were the defeats of the persians up to 479BC the result of united action by the greek poelis

st@ce

come on people, please i need any links or info on this topic you have. i cant find anything!!!
i will post any info i find for other people!!! please help me!!!

brunette

HSC
ummm ummm
it was unified as the Greek city-states put aside their differences (especially sparta and athens) to fight against the intruders
e.g. athens put all their army and navy under sparta's command even though 2/3's belonged to them
- during persian wars greek city states formed pan-hellenic league
- 31 states were involved in the numerous battle even if they contributed 500 men

if you just type in persian wars or the individual battles in a search engine you will get heaps of info

pretty much just go through each battle and state how the victories were the result of unified action and could not have been acgieved without cooperation

this is all i can think from the top of my head ill post more if i can come up with it :)

good luck!!

Plebeian

Don't forget you don't have to agree with the statement.

You could talk about all the other reasons for Greek victory (strategy of confining Persians to mountain passes and narrow straits, inspirational and competent leaders, troops better suited to the terrain, overstretched Persian supply lines) as well as unity, and then decide whether unity really was the most important factor.

If you really really need help I might be able to send you an essay plan from a past assessment.

brunette

HSC
i found a quote for you!!!!

"Plataea is one of the best examples of Greek unity. approx 24 states had taken an oath of comradeship to fight together and for about 3 weeks 100 000 Greeks faced extreme difficulties. Pausanius held together 100 000 men from 24 cities 'plagued by dissension, in subordination and lack of food and water, as well as the difficulty of warding off the constant threat pf excellent Persian cavalry'."
- J. Fine, The Ancient Greeks

hope it helps :)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
We recently did an essay on basically the opposite- Assess the contribution of Athens to the victory against the Persians. Except I haven't finished writing it yet.

Shimtek

HSC
Anyone else feel like adding to this thread? :p

I've got two essays due tomorrow

Q: How and why did members of the Delian league lose their independence. Refer to specific events up to 440BC

Q: How far was the Greek victory in the Persian Wars due to the co-operation between the Greek states?
What other factors contributed to their victory?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)