• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I.T courses in general (1 Viewer)

JRasnier

Any chance any I.T courses are gonna be accepting 70s for uai requirement from the downturn, im only hoping kekekekeke

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well for te BIT you need to pass a series of interview stages as well as getting a UAI in the very high 90's. it also has a guaranteed job at the end of the 4 years. so i don't see that falling to the 70% cut off anytime soon!

as for the BScIT, in all honesty, i don't think they will accept anyone below 80. mainly because they have to keep up a level of standard, meaning that they have a minimum mark that candidates must achieve that shows their capability to undertake any computing studies.

sorry to shatter your hopes! good luck!!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
well remember the cutoffs are determined by the level of demand of the course. so if the demand falls dramatically so wil the cutoff. but i dont think it will fall down to the 70's.

JRasnier

nah its alright, thinking of repeating, or using my tafe distinction results to get in, at the moment im doubting UWS also....after my subjects get scaled..

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by copious
well remember the cutoffs are determined by the level of demand of the course. so if the demand falls dramatically so wil the cutoff. but i dont think it will fall down to the 70's.

but isn't there a certain standard that UTS has to uphold? i mean, say if the demand drops dramatically, to the 50's, i don't think UTS will accept them because of the higher level of work required for some of the uni subjects, so they will have a 'reserved' UAI cut off which meets the minimum standard for entrance. you get me?

take law at usyd for example, if the demand dropped for it drastically, i don't think they will accept anyone with a UAI lower thatn 90%

vanity

HSC
about two months ago i read an artical in the financial review about the decline in the number of people selecting IT courses
it said stuff about how theyre having trouble keeping the student quota and the minimum uai or something like that

JRasnier

But thats like saying, that there gonna get ppl from other countries for like doctor jobs just because they dont want to lower the uai below the reserve (just an example)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by vanity
about two months ago i read an artical in the financial review about the decline in the number of people selecting IT courses
it said stuff about how theyre having trouble keeping the student quota and the minimum uai or something like that
That was the case with Software Engineering at UNSW

2 years ago the UAI was around 96-97 mark, since then has dropped to 91.70

I have to decide between 3 courses (all similar computer related) and I cant do it!!! I guess i'll prob decide on the cutoff day

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
They will try and keep up the UAI at UTS by accepting more non-recent school leavers if they need to. The 2003 first-year intake into the BScIT was around 65 recent school leavers and 67 non-recent school leavers, so you can see where they make up the numbers. This ensures the UAI doesn't drop too much.

I mean the problem they will face in a few years time or so is that there will be too few people available in the IT industry, since the demand for these IT courses atm is quite low. So the IT industry will most likely rise again in a few years time.

Dingo

Banned
Originally posted by jlh
as for the BScIT, in all honesty, i don't think they will accept anyone below 80. mainly because they have to keep up a level of standard, meaning that they have a minimum mark that candidates must achieve that shows their capability to undertake any computing studies.
im gonna laugh at dat bullshit. Engineering is twice as hard as IT and they accept people with low to mid 70s. Its all to do with demand you mofo..

peace^^

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh it has to do with demand, but also UTS wants to maintain its high standard over the other Sydney based unis by having the best computing courses.

Dingo

Banned
The demand for IT has gone down especially from last year, you see a dramatic downturn in ALL NSW universities.
This year will be no different to last year.
I predict that UTS would go as low as 75 to accept people into their IT courses...Besides achieving a 70s UAI this year means you would have gotten an 80s uai last year, because of more people getting band 5/6 this year, higher UAIs were more harder to obtain for the just above average student. So 75 looks like a possibilty for entrance into UTS, id say probably for Sc in IT Innovations, eg. if B Sc in IT Dip Prof Prac drops to 80, then i see innovations drop to 75..

peace^^

Last edited:

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I don't know whether to cheer for the people trying to get into the IT courses, or to smack my head in frustrations as I imagine even more gits who stumble into the IT courses whose skills extend to 'teh hotmail iz cool n lik i cn talk 2 my frends on teh intarweb'.

(Background research people! Don't just stumble into a course! If you do, make an effort to learn a little bit about the subject matter before the course starts!)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo

(Background research people! Don't just stumble into a course! If you do, make an effort to learn a little bit about the subject matter before the course starts!)

wat do u mean by that? cud u plz expand?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by jase-REX

I mean the problem they will face in a few years time or so is that there will be too few people available in the IT industry, since the demand for these IT courses atm is quite low. So the IT industry will most likely rise again in a few years time.
True...by the time i finish most IT people (previous grads) wud have left the industry!....good for me :D

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
lil_star: I meant, say, if you're going to be doing a course involving programming, actually bother to have a go at programming before the course begins. Same with Unix... Grab Knoppix and muck around with that before the Uni semester starts. Don't just stumble in wondering, "What's a programming? Is it, like, TVs and shit and channels, like? I like Melrose Place."

I'm just a little cheesed off at a few people this year doing the course who don't seem to know a mouse from their arse.

Dingo

Banned
dont worry hurrotisrobbo, you'll top the class with a stream of HDs, while they barely pass.

peace^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)